AEI Rediffussion Pro Amp 120

TonyMitchell

I need to connect a UHF receiver over existing installed wiring to an (old) AEI Rediffusion Pro Amp 120, termination is a wallmounted 5-pin din.

Does anyone know the pinout, so I can make up a 5-pin din to XLR jumper before going on site?

Thank in anticipation.

Tony

My guess would be pin2 ground, input on pin3. If it were a stereo amp, it'd be L/R inputs on pins 3 and 5. But that's just an educated guess...

Male DINs are numbered 14253 looking from the solder side.

I'd be taking a soldering iron and some bodge cables to the job :)

If you're lucky, the pinout will be printed on the back of the amp...

My understanding of DIN has always been that there wasn't a standard pinout (although of course there were pinouts that were a lot more common than others), so just about every amp I've seen with DIN inputs has had the pinout printed on it.

Most of my work with DIN inputs was with 100V line systems, and from what I can remember alot of them were centre ground, with the outer two being line level inputs, and the inner two being mic level inputs. Unfortuantely I couldn't tell you what manufacturer that was for though.

The centre ground (pin 2, as mentioned above) is very common. That's probably the only connection that I'd assume to be correct :)

3 pin DIN, using 1 for output and 3 for input, were typical on tape recorders. When stereo arrived, 5-pin became more common, effectively using the same pinout - 1&4 for L/R output, 5&3 for L/R input.

But there are lots of variants.....no real "standards".

The centre ground (pin 2, as mentioned above) is very common. That's probably the only connection that I'd assume to be correct :)

3 pin DIN, using 1 for output and 3 for input, were typical on tape recorders. When stereo arrived, 5-pin became more common, effectively using the same pinout - 1&4 for L/R output, 5&3 for L/R input.

But I seem to remember that amplifiers were the opposite way round to tape recorders so that a pin to pin lead gave you tape recorder out to amplifier in and vice versa.

There's probably a DIN standard published, after all isn't that what DIN is, a standards body?

Actually it seems WIKIPEDIA may have the answer: DIN connector WIKIPEDIA page

...and scroll down to 'Applications'.

Although as others have said, take your soldering iron along just in case!

Is this amplifier a public address amp?

If it is then it will proberbly have a balanced input and connected as follows - Pin 1 = Signal, Pin 2 = screen, Pin 3 = Signal.

Just a thought

David

Dont forget that many of these amps have to have an enable (usually taken to 0V) otherwise the audio may not make it through the pre amp. The enable is usualy connected to a music ducking circuit for announcements. I cant speak from experience with the Rediffusion system though there are plenty around in hotels and pubs!

• 3 weeks later...
I need to connect a UHF receiver over existing installed wiring to an (old) AEI Rediffusion Pro Amp 120, termination is a wallmounted 5-pin din.

Does anyone know the pinout, so I can make up a 5-pin din to XLR jumper before going on site?

Thank in anticipation.

Tony

Hi I've just picked up an AEI Rediffusion PROAMP PLUS (Mono) lookin for another or a good home for it. No good on it's own really. I love it, superb sound. Would really like another if there's one out there.

Archived