Something strange that might be normal

Chris_H

hey, where I'm working this week their stage is highly polish or varnished and during tech rehersals twirlies went flying all over the place, last night to aid them, the staff mopped the stage with coke, I can understand how this would work, but is this normal practice?

ta very much

Chris H

As has been mentioned before - be careful about the concentration of the coke solution - there are documented instances of the floor being made too sticky, and dancers suffering twisting - type injuries. A propriety product like slipnomore is admittedly very expensive - about £60.00 a bottle last time I looked - but it does come with instructions for use which might look better on that all important riak assessment.

I have certainly used coke myself though, and it does work. I think we used to add about 1 can to a full bucket of mopping water. The dificult bit was then re-polishing the floor for the next performance with a different lead performer who preferred a slidy floor.....

make sure it's not diet type - the sugars the thing!

getting it off again is a killer, PLUS the stickness attracts dirt like mad, so expect more costume staining problems. One dance company I worked with regularly coked the stage - but gave each dancer a written slip saying it had been done. Most injuries arise because of the changes in 'slipperiness' between sessions. Rosin that the ballet mob use is just the same, one minute slippery, the next not.

As has been mentioned before - be careful about the concentration of the coke solution - there are documented instances of the floor being made too sticky, and dancers suffering twisting - type injuries. A propriety product like slipnomore is admittedly very expensive - about £60.00 a bottle last time I looked - but it does come with instructions for use which might look better on that all important riak assessment.

Andy is bang on here!! Someone picked up a big fine. Try reading back issues of "Stage" or "Sightlines" for details. I'll have a look at home...

Andy is bang on here!!  Someone picked up a big fine.  Try reading back issues of "Stage" or "Sightlines" for details.  I'll have a look at home...

Indeed - A dancer picked up £12,000 a few years back (along with some nasty ligament damage) from a floor that had been "coked". She had expected to be able to slide along the floor as she had in previous (un-coked) rehearsals.

The key here is the performers' expectation of the state of the floor. If you've made the floor less/more slippery than the last time it was used, make absoluteley sure that performers are acquainted with the state of the floor before they use it in anger.

Best thing for cleaning a stage and giving it grip is "Sprint" spray made by Johnson & Johnson. Not too expensive and gives fantastic grip. It's what was used on Starlight Express to give the skaters grip.

To me "Twirlies" are old folk, especially in the north. Comes from the the habit of pensioners turning up hours before a matinee on pension day, to find out they are "too early" ;)

Archived