Replacement pump for Jem ZR33

Neil Hampson

I have been asked to repair a ZR33 for a local venue, the feed pump has failed. Now, there is no repair budget to speak of so this has driven me to think outside the box a little. The pump is a ULKA EP5, 240Vac. Now I can get one of these from Martin, at about £50 plus P+P, job done.

BUT

I can also get an ULKA EP5 from my local washine machine repair centre for less than a tenner, genuine part, different industry the only problem is this one is rated at 230V not 240V as per the original. given our huge voltage swing across the UK, and the fact that a UK sold JEM ZR33 is identical to the Euroland model is the voltage really that critical?

I have tried to cal the UK distributor for UKLA but the line just rings out and there does not appear to be a website.

your advice is welcomed.

Agreed, 230 volts is the nominal or declared voltage in the UK, but it is still 240 volts most of the time in most places.

Appliances or spare parts for appliances may be 230 or 240 volts without concern.

Agreed, 230 volts is the nominal or declared voltage in the UK, but it is still 240 volts most of the time in most places.

Appliances or spare parts for appliances may be 230 or 240 volts without concern.

The UK used to run at 240 VAC, however I believe this was stepped down to 230VAC to fall in line with the rest of europe. It would be interesting to see if there are any regional variations coming from mains electricity around the UK? I know the last time I saw 240 V was off a genset, usually expect to see 232 to 235 V off a mains supply.

J

The UK used to run at 240 VAC, however I believe this was stepped down to 230VAC to fall in line with the rest of europe.

Oh no..... not this again :)

UK voltage is now 230VAC -6% +10% (that's 216V to 253V) so 240V is well within this amount. Not much has changed.

It would be interesting to see if there are any regional variations coming from mains electricity around the UK?

If you think that's interesting then read this :)

There was a thread not long ago called 'what's your voltage' or similar, the voltage swing around the UK is staggering, our PAT tester shows the line voltage when it's idle, the mains voltage last week vaired between 229Vac and 251Vac. as we were PAT testing the office kit.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Bearin mind that this is well within the EU specification of -6% to +10% around the nominal 230V.

Archived