questionnaire

Michael_hunt

I am making a working model theatre. As part of the research I have to make a questionnaire and I would be very thankful for your help.

1.Would you like the theatre to work like a normal theatre?

YES/ NO

2.What would be your preferred material

Wood, Metal, Plastic

3.Should it be portable?

YES/NO

4.What finish would you like?

5. What colour finish if any?

6. Is there any specific material you would like to be used?

I am making a working model theatre.

Why, as the answers are really dependent on what you want: do you want a scale model for use say by a set designer for a modelbox; do you want to use it as an aid for lighting designers to try out ideas; do you need it to be accurate enough to demonstrate how flying systems work etc.?

this is a bit like hitch-hikers guide - answer 42, but what was the question.

1.Would you like the theatre to work like a normal theatre?

as in have lights (model for the lx dept)

have working flying (model for the set design dept)

have physical scale items on stage (for the visualisers and bean counters)

2.What would be your preferred material

Wood, Metal, Plastic

er... yes. For me, MDF for floor and 4 walls, metal for lx bars, plastic for flats, card for cloths

3.Should it be portable?

Yes if it has to be moved, no if you're going to screw it to a wall for display

4.What finish would you like?

my type of model - matt to stop as much reflected light as poss

5. What colour finish if any? black

6. Is there any specific material you would like to be used? whatever it needs

I'm not sure if these answers help. I think you should consider these things:

Purpose - what's it actually for?

budget - scale size plastic RSJ's are available from model shops - bloody expensive, as is sheet plastic materials. If you have to do it cheaply, then old offcuts of 6mm mdf, scrap timber and wood glue may come free

Scale - how big does it need to be?

Lifespan - how long will its life be - some of my scale model boxes of local theatres are 15 yrs old now, but weigh a ton and take up a lot of storage space at 1:25 - last years card one was in the dustbin 3 wks after use.

I suspect someones just told you to make a model and not given you enough information.

A sneaky trick, if it's for a year 10/11 or FE course is to ask for the marking criteria - the teacher has to have them. then you can see what you have to do for each mark, grade, whatever. You might find to get the best grade it simply has has to look good, or show some evidence of mechanisms etc - just do what is required - saves loads of wasted time doing stuff that's nice but not actually mark-worthy.

sorry for ranting on a bit here ..............

Following from what Paul said, for GSCE and A/AS exams you should be able to access Specifications, Assessment Material, Examiners' Reports & Guidance on the relevant exam board's website. This might be particularly useful where you are taking say one of the technical options of Drama & Theatre Studies exams and the teacher has little knowledge in that area. The Examiners' Reports are very useful to get an idea of what is needed - for example in lighting design you need to be able to discuss why you do what you do rather than just present it as done, and appreciate what kind of responses they are looking for.

e.g. in written exams: "The discussion of lighting was frequently limited to the use of colour. This is not acceptable. Thoroughly prepared candidates were able to comment on the use of angle, intensity, positioning and types of lantern, as well as the use of devices such as gobos and barn doors at specific moments in the production. The creation of location and atmosphere was discussed in the more detailed responses and candidates placed themselves at an advantage if they were able to comment on the combined effect of set and lighting design."

A sneaky trick, if it's for a year 10/11 or FE course is to ask for the marking criteria - the teacher has to have them. then you can see what you have to do for each mark, grade, whatever. You might find to get the best grade it simply has has to look good, or show some evidence of mechanisms etc - just do what is required - saves loads of wasted time doing stuff that's nice but not actually mark-worthy.

What I would do if you heart is set on doing this project is;

make a scale model of the theatre stage and all

then have really simple slots, like tounge and grove for the fly bars

but make a larger working scale model of a working bar mechnism to show if I had the time a materials and the space this is what I would do for the fly bars.

I dont think that the material really matters but if its going to be protable then its got to be made of someting light, wood or plastic. Not metal.

Archived