Suspending small set pieces

mark_s

I was a bit reluctant to post this for fear of being shot down in flames, but...

I'm involved with a show opening in August, which may need two 'picture frames' (very light bits of set consisting of a wooden frame and some paper) suspended during the show. Normally it wouldn't be a problem, however it's a Fringe show, and the method of suspending them needs to be very quick to do and undo each show.

My thought was to use a sling girth hitched around the bar, with a karabiner clipped into the resulting loop. Two slings/karabiners would be used per frame to prevent spinning, and these would be left permanently attached to the bar. When not in use the karabiner would be clipped back into the sling, forming a loop and preventing any freak accidents resulting from the hitch undoing itself. When in use, a line from the frame would be clipped into both karabiners. It should only take seconds to hang and unhang the frames this way, and is fairly foolproof.

Assuming the use of suitable and appropriately rated hardware, does anyone see any issues with this? I can't see any safety issues with this method, but I imagine it's a slightly unorthodox way to go about it and that there are better methods. If anyone has any alternative suggestions I'm all ears :D

If they're used at all (the show was produced in Newcastle a few months ago, and as far as I'm aware they're using the same set) they will almost certainly have to be suspended. A colour change will need to happen before each show anyway, so it isn't much more work to suspend them providing that it can be done quickly without much faff.

Archived