Odd lantern locations

Hi all,

Was in London today, and spotted 3 very odd looking P.123's ;) . By the loading door for the Hayward Gallery, sandwiched between the Royal Festival Hall, and the Queen Elizabeth Hall at street level. The P.123's seem to have had their gel runners removed/busted, fresnel lenses replaced/covered with a translucent cover, and look as if they are mounted on a rotateable plate. They are very dirty, covered in rust, and there are some empty plates.

Anyone know why they are there? How long ago? <_<

Where have you seen old Strand lanterns in strange places?

This is quite funny. I spotted some of the same Patt 123's when I was doing the lighting for the BFI Awards on the South Bank

They were bolted under Waterloo Bridge on the Thames entrance to the National Film Theatre. I had to rig lots of percelli strings (white xmas lights) in a marquee directly under the Patt 123's.

According to my sad Access database of jobs, this was back in 1992.

My guess is they were there from the beginning when the complex opened in 1976. The theatre consultant was Richard Pilbrow from Theatre Projects and my guess is they were put in to add atmosphere to the slabs of concrete.

Interesting stuff! I was thinking that they were there from opening, but came up with a blank as to who and why, I think you are right. There must be lots more of them about then to light up all of that concrete. Wonder if any are still going?

Keeping databases of past work is a good idea, I also do this, and log bad jobs too, with a reason for why it was bad, and check it when people ring up!

Some old strands fitted with domestic bayonet lamp fittings were installed into a nightclub back in N.Ire. Only four of them above one bolted down bench, didn't fit with any of the other design,very odd indeed. It's been refurbished now, so don't know if they are still there.

Will check when I'm home in a couple of weeks

Owen

Our theatre bar has 6 hand-polished (i.e. shiny silver 'chrome') 23s hanging on two pieces of curvey chrome truss on the ceiling. They make great disco lights during parties!

That wouldn't be the ADC would it by any chance.

(Me remembering looking at them and wondering how long it would take to do my 123's & 23's ....) <_<

How were they done 'by hand'

James

(Me remembering looking at them and wondering how long it would take to do my 123's & 23's ....) :)

How were they done 'by hand'

Basically it involves sanding or blasting the paint off, then finer and finer grades of abrasive followed by a lot of fun on the polishing wheels!

You try polishing them yourself, realise what a pig of a job it is, then decide sixty quid is damn cheap to pay a little man to do it for you. Plus, he has all the machinery and tools to make it easier!

You try polishing them yourself, realise what a pig of a job it is, then decide sixty quid is damn cheap to pay a little man to do it for you. Plus, he has all the machinery and tools to make it easier

You don't hapen to be able to recomend any specific little men by any chance could you?

James

Whilst on holiday in Brittanny a few years ago we visited a Cathederal (can't remember where)

Dotted about up high were a selection of Patt 23Ns The MkII s with the 264 snout on them. I don't think they went up with the building though

David

PS at the Haymarket in Basingstoke we had some 23's, 123's and a T Spot blasted and re coloured for the top bar, hung on a bit of ladder bar someone left behind.

Guest lightnix
You don't hapen to be able to recomend any specific little men by any chance could you?

Didn't White Light used to do lantern refurbishment ? I distinctly remember a "lovely" bright yellow Patt 23 in their old place at Filmer Road.

Archived