Zoom Profiles

NickLee

Dear all,

I'm hiring some Zoom Profiles, and given I'm fairly used to using my venue's native lighting I've not a great experience of all the current different zooms available.

My instinct was to go for Source 4 Zooms, but I've read (on here) they're heavy and the light output is substandard.

Range-wise I'm probably looking at a 25-50, something like that; I'm also looking at bangs for bucks here, but wattage-wise I'm not very fussy; 575w and 1000w are fairly interchangable.

I know there's already a thread that's touched on this, but it didn't really answer my query; also, I know hires can be a different situation altogether.

Cheers

-- Nick

I'm hiring some Zoom Profiles, and given I'm fairly used to using my venue's native lighting I've not a great experience of all the current different zooms available.

My instinct was to go for Source 4 Zooms, but I've read (on here) they're heavy and the light output is substandard.

Range-wise I'm probably looking at a 25-50, something like that; I'm also looking at bangs for bucks here, but wattage-wise I'm not very fussy; 575w and 1000w are fairly interchangable.

There's nothing wrong with the optics of S4 zooms - they're damn fine lanterns optically. It's the physical design which lets them down. They're big and heavy for what they are, it can be awkward to get things into the gate easily, they don't tip vertical (none of the ones I've seen have done, anyway - there may well be a way of moving the trunion arm along the lantern to allow them to do this, however - I don't know), and the one-handed focussing, while no worse than two separate lens knobs, isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Strand's SL is a physically smaller lantern, optically in a similar league (although perhaps the S4 just has the edge), not quite so sturdily built, but a little more user-friendly ergonomically speaking (things like the 360-degree rotation within the trunion and the option to short- or long-hang the unit score points here).

Altman's Shakespeare is another contender - same lamp as the SL (GKV600), decent optics, bigger than the SL, not as big (at least, I don't think so) as a S4 zoom. Nothing particularly remarkable about it, but a thoroughly decent lantern all the same.

Selecon Pacifics - haven't used enough of them to comment, but plenty of people seem to like them so they must be OK!

CCT Freedoms ... can you still get these? If so, don't bother! There are loads of better options out there.

Apart from the CCTs, there's not a great deal to choose between the offerings in this particular market - the best thing is to try them out for yourself and see which one most meets your requirements. The only thing to think about is that second-generation S4s can be lamped to 750w, in which form they are quite capable of blowing any other comparable lantern clean out of the water!

I think this kinda confirms what I was thinking. I've fiddled with Strand SLs and they look might sexy - more so than the S4s, but as you say, what's the difference?

The thought of a 750w lamped S4 is magnificent indeed. But 575w will more than serve.

Anyway -- cheers.

N.B. Is all well? You haven't tried to sell me any equipment yet.

<_<

Nick

If the beam range you are after is 25-50 then have a play with the Source 4 Junior zoom, uses a HPL575 lamp (same as the rest of the S4 range) and are superb for gobo coverage, half the size of the "grown up" S4zoom, and I love them. Had ours for 18 months and still going strong, and compared to a lot of 18 month old SL's I have seen, theses knock the socks off them as older units.

If you want to lend one for a little while let me know.

Paul

If I were you I wouldn't touch SL's with a barge pole. They might look sexy, and I know there have been several rapid re-designs, but from what I remember they are nasty! The clips on the lense tube bite your fingers, the glue that holds the lenses melts when it gets warm etc.

Fixed source fours are superb. Would it not be an option to hire those with a selection of lense tubes? The source four zooms are heavy and clunky and not really all that good..

I would look in the same sort of range as Cantattas if I were you! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

As a postscript, having hired some kit:

The full size Source 4 CE (in this case the 15-30) is enormous - far too big for a short-term hire I think - but it has a good output, it's solid, and it's very easy to focus etc - I quite like the one handed focus thing, it's certainly quick, easy and accessible. My one gripe is, as I think Gareth said, is that it's difficult to get a gobo holder in. I can't quite work out why this is the case.

I also got my mitts on a few Source 4 Jr Zooms - which I like very much. They are good hire lanterns (lightweight/easy to rig and strike), good light output, good angle range, and the focusing is smooth. Solid as well.

I'm impressed.

Cheers all for your advice.

Nick.

Archived