Martin Mac 250+ cover/lid

pscandrett

Hi

I'm independent of the poster who wanted a 55225038 Plastfront assembly as posted in 'Wanted' here: http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=32563 but find myself in a similar situation (and wanting one, if anyone has any they don't want!)

I just thought I'd ask around the subject really. We've got some Mac 250+s and occasionally the screw assembly snaps off the covers; this means that obviously the lid doesn't stay on. A temporary solution is to gaffer the lid on, but that's not ideal. It's clearly a weak point since I've seen several covers in this state. Obviously the ideal solution is to buy a new cover - I'll come to that in a moment - but are the any other ways of affixing the covers (with snapped off captive screws) that anyone can recommend?

As I've said, I've seen this several times before and the catalyst for me asking about it is that we've just had another one break over the weekend. I've got a price for a new cover - £80 ish - which is a lot, particularly when I bought one for £45 from the same place two years ago. A near 100% price increase seems expensive; yes, I know the 250s are obsolete; yes, I know the currencies are changing too, but it does seem excessive (particularly as Martin have a presence in the UK!). We'll get it if we can't find a cheaper one in a decent (black!) condition - we don't mind secondhand - but as a charity we're just trying to watch the pennies a little...

Does anyone else have a problem with these things snapping? We transport them in proper Martin Mac flight cases and try to treat them well so I'm not sure it's anything that I'm doing, particularly, that's causing the problem. Does anyone have any tips or advice please?

Ta in advance

Archived