Independent System Consultants in South

Matt Riley

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a systems consultant for a 1400 seater contemporary church auditorium install. Aside from Mark Payne, who has already been approached, does anyone know of any consultant who:

a) is not employed by a manufacturer

b) can produce accurate ease/ulysses plots of the space

c) has experience in the design of 1000 + seat church spaces

d) understands the differences in system design approach needed for contemporary church environments as opposed to 'gig' environments.

We're trying to see if there's any way in which we could engage someone who will be entirely independent of the interests of the install contractors.

All the best,

Matt

Matt,

Here's a few from the IOA membership list (filtered by the term "electroacoustics")

Arup Acoustics (Sponsor Members)Parkin House, 8 St Thomas Street, Winchester, HAMPSHIRE, SO23 9HETel: 01962 829900Fax: 01962 867270Email: winchester.acoustics@arup.comAn international consultancy in architectural, building, environmental and industrial acoustics, electroacoustics, audiovisual, noise and vibration control.

BDP Ltd16 Brewhouse Yard, Clerkenwell, LONDON, EC1V 4LJTel: 020 7812 8362Fax: 020 7812 8399Email: acoustics-london@bdp.co.ukArchitectural, modelling, auralisation, performing arts, electroacoustics, public buildings, education, healthcare, vibration sensitive buildings, building services, environmental.

Buro Happold LtdCamden Mill, Lower Bristol Road, Bath, BA2 3DQTel: 01225 320600Fax: 0870 787 4148Email: acousticsgroup@burohappold.comConsutants in architectural, environmental and electroacoustics, audio visual systems and vibration.

Paul Gillieron Acoustic Design130 Brixton Hill, LONDON, SW2 1RSTel: 020 8671 2223Fax: 020 8671 2402Email: paul@pgacoustics.orgAuditorium design, electroacoustics, building acoustics, noise and vibration measurement, building and structural isolation, recording studio acoustics.RPS Planning & Development Ltd (ANC)6-7 Lovers Walk, Brighton, SUSSEX, BN1 6AHTel: 01273 546800Fax: 01273 546801Email: evansp@rpsgroup.comConsultants in environmental noise and vibration, building acoustics, sound insulation (ANC), noise control; electroacoustics; expert witness.

You can search for others at www.IOA.org.uk

Simon

Hey Simon,

Thanks for the acoustician references. I've got a massive list of places which can do the build acoustics. What I am looking for is an independent party to specify and design the live sound system which is going to be put in. Someone like Tom Young but without the funny accent and expensive flights to get them here.

M

Thanks for the acoustician references. I've got a massive list of places which can do the build acoustics. What I am looking for is an independent party to specify and design the live sound system which is going to be put in. Someone like Tom Young but without the funny accent and expensive flights to get them here.

That's why I suggested those who deal with electroacoustics. In reality there are several people at Arup who can do this, plus people such as Peter Mapp, Paul Malpas etc.

However, you might like to give Acoustic Dimensions a call. They have offices in Dallas, New York, San Diego and.... Coventry UK ;-) They have top class experience in room acoustics but also have a good handle on the sound reinforcement side too.

Simon

That's why I suggested those who deal with electroacoustics. In reality there are several people at Arup who can do this, plus people such as Peter Mapp, Paul Malpas etc.

However, you might like to give Acoustic Dimensions a call. They have offices in Dallas, New York, San Diego and.... Coventry UK ;-) They have top class experience in room acoustics but also have a good handle on the sound reinforcement side too.

Simon

Hi There

I suggest you contact Wigwam acoustic and get Dave Hopkinson, they have a vast track record including salisbury cathedral or Geoff Boswell from B & H syscom who did rochester cathedral and the do all off spring harvest

Mark

I suggest you contact Wigwam acoustic ........or.... B & H

Mark,

Matt is walking a different path... and he's looking for a real electroacoustic consultant who will create a system design, and ensure that it is properly installed by a contractor, and then commission it with suitable speech intelligibility tests etc. to show that it actually meets the design criteria. If it doesn't, then the onus lies with the installer to correct any deficiencies. This aspect of accountability, test and verification is sadly absent from many large audio installations.

Such consultants will liaise with contractors but also (most importantly) with the project architect to ensure that the audio installation is not the poor relation and simply squeezed out by other trades.

There's nothing wrong with Wigwam or B&H etc., and they do come up with fine designs, but they are not independent - they sell the gear too. By my definition, that means they aren't consultants per se.

Not that many projects take this approach, but Matt and his church are to be commended for going against the status quo.

Simon

Mark,

Matt is walking a different path...

Not that many projects take this approach, but Matt and his church are to be commended for going against the status quo.

Simon

Hey Simon,

Thanks for your advice so far. I'll confess I didn't know the proper term was 'electroacoustics consultant' which probably didn't help my enquiries.

Hopefully! I don't get to make any decisions, and well have to do some sums first, but it is the tenuous plan, and we're thinking it might yield better cost vs performance results than the traditional 'lob a load of Q series in at list price' approach, as there are bound to be lots of incredibly good solutions from EAW to Martin to Turbo to Opus, and chances are we could get a bit more bang for our buck if we shop around.

M

Mark,

Simon

Hey Simon,

Thanks for your advice so far. I'll confess I didn't know the proper term was 'electroacoustics consultant' which probably didn't help my enquiries.

Hopefully! I don't get to make any decisions, and well have to do some sums first, but it is the tenuous plan, and we're thinking it might yield better cost vs performance results than the traditional 'lob a load of Q series in at list price' approach, as there are bound to be lots of incredibly good solutions from EAW to Martin to Turbo to Opus, and chances are we could get a bit more bang for our buck if we shop around.

M

ok then peter mapp is definitely the man

mark

Mark,

Simon

Hey Simon,

M

ok then peter mapp is definitely the man

mark

tho having been on the inside of both of these organisations am not sure that anyone is truly independant

mark

Archived