Bad Venue + Bagpipes....

Ali2580

The reverb etc issue may come in for other acts on the bill if they are going through a PA, but if you are only doing Audio, then the pipers is your 5 minutes to check the script ahead/tidy your pile of used backing CDs and take a breather. If you are doing lights and sopund, then no break for you!

If possible, then your only chance is to get the player near some soft wing masking - I have used a single black (or tartan!!) leg hanging as a backing to a pipes player, if rigged slightly downstage of them at fly-bar level and paged back at ground level it can give you a bit of dampenign to the pipes and help to stop the reflections from directly above and behind - the one's from out front are in the lap of the god's!

I too would like to know what venue it is - I've worked in some pretty bad places in Scotland as well as good.

If the venue is that bad then don't worry about the drones but put a mic up for each of the chanters so you can pick them out a bit if it needs clarity. Or if they move around then use a radio pack with a lav taped to the chanter, Chilli Pippers style.

Pipes aren't always as loud as you think!

Archived