sub transducer sizes

johndenim

Would anyone say that a x2 15" sub would be better that a 18"? same make and model of course.

You can't really generalise about that John, there are too many parameters that affect the frequency response of the speaker (speaker = driver + enclosure in this case). For example the same driver in a direct radiating (reflex), horn loaded or bandpass box would have very different properties. You could force it to go much lower than its natural resonant frequency but at the expense of sensitivity, response flatness and overall bandwidth. Equally you could make a very efficient design that didn't reach the earth shattering lows of first example but had a much wider useable range and smoother characteristic.

As an example, take a look at car stereo 'subs' that claim to go down to 30Hz but only have an efficiency of 85dB. This is because they're bandpassed to within an inch of their lives to get low frequencies out of a small driver. A nice big 2 x 18" box might have the same nominal frequency response but a sensitivity of 105dB.

This is the reason that most manufacturers make several drivers of each size - each type is optimised for a particular application.

What is true though is that a larger driver generally makes it easier to achieve lower frequencies for a given enclosure design. Thus a 21" driver won't need such a clever or restrictive box design to operate at silly low frequencies as an 18" or 15".

The only reason the 21's were not popular before was due to the weight of the magnet.

Now that Neo's are around the 21 is the perfect sub for almost all applications.

I use 3 in a stack for most hires, live, acoustic and DJ with the same great result.

18's are the next best thing, anything below that and you lose the solid kick.

Getting a good box with a decent driver (PD, FANE etc) in it is the key.

It depends on what you are doing but I would suggest getting a well designed box with a decent driver would be the best way to start.

I will admit that my general experience of 12" subs has been that they're very one-note. I haven't used the LS-400s, but I'll try to have a listen at some point.

The only 12" sub I have been truly impressed with was the d&b E-12 sub, which produced a phenomenal sound for such a small piece of kit - true subs and an impressive amount of volume - musical and tight too. For a proper gig though you would need two for a smallish venue, and they cost a lot of money (like all things d&b).

As a side-note, I'm selling my dB Technologies Sub 12 soon. It sounds good in medium-size venues, but doesn't go loud enough for proper gigging. In small-sized venues, it goes plenty loud enough, but sounds incredibly boomy and frankly awful.

EDIT: just to note this isn't an advert, I'm simply talking about my experience of my Sub 12. TBH, if I was trying to sell it here, my wording would be quite a bit more generous! :o

As a side-note, I'm selling my dB Technologies Sub 12 soon. It sounds good in medium-size venues, but doesn't go loud enough for proper gigging. In small-sized venues, it goes plenty loud enough, but sounds incredibly boomy and frankly awful.

Is that an advert? You may want to work on the wording slightly!

:o

I will admit that my general experience of 12" subs has been that they're very one-note. I haven't used the LS-400s, but I'll try to have a listen at some point.

The only 12" sub I have been truly impressed with was the d&b E-12 sub, which produced a phenomenal sound for such a small piece of kit - true subs and an impressive amount of volume - musical and tight too. For a proper gig though you would need two for a smallish venue, and they cost a lot of money (like all things d&b).

Generally 12" subs are quite 'one note', however I think you will find the LS-400 comparable to the E-12, it is a very very nice sounding unit - and quite loud to boot! Also incredibly light due to the Neo driver.

The problem with big drivers is the property of becoming very beamy as the frequency increases. So to get even coverage lots of frequency cuts are needed and lots of amps and cabs. An 18" driver will radiate 2 - 5KHz but in a pencil sharp beam on axis. whereas it will radiate sub 100Hz in a largely even field all round.

A 21" driver may well radiate 25 - 150 HZ well but may well better be used in the 25 - 60Hz range with something elase crossing over and taking the upper sub bass range. Smaller "bass " drivers are usually lacking in bass response and this sometimes is compansated by resonance peaks to give a perceived level increase.

Is that an advert? You may want to work on the wording slightly!

:D

Thanks! :o I was worried about that as I posted it but I've now edited it slightly.

Archived