Disco Dan Lasers

Chris Adam

One concern I have about cheap imported laser products is that while they all proudly display their CE mark and define into which class they fall, can we be confident that all the models imported into the EU from China (or elsewhere for that matter) have actually been exhaustively tested to demonstrate compliance? Call me a cynic but I have my doubts. You can't make bargain basement LEDs that are even vaguely consistent in output so why should the laser diodes be any better.

You're 100% right to be concerned.

In general, there's numerous instances of manufacturers (particularly chinese ones, but others as well) sticking CE marks on their products without doing any testing to verify they comply with the relevant standards. The chances of being caught are slim! I once read a cynical alternative meaning for CE, but can't remember what it was. Any suggestions?

And in the laser area, there are definitely reported cases of mislabelled laser pointers, so I wouldn't have much confidence in other laser products.

I'd tend to say that you should find out who the UK importer is and check that they're a reputable outfit who do their own testing. If they're a fly-by-night box-shifter, a cautious approach is sensible.

Whilst I'm no fan of over-zealous H&S, I think the LA is being very sensible in insisting on a trained laser safety officer being present. It's no different to requiring a competent pyro operator.

It's no different to requiring a competent pyro operator

I dont think the venue has one of thos either, though they use flashpods regularly.

The manager told me he wished now he hadn't volunteered the info on the laser else she wouldnt have known.

The dangling 240V choc-blocks off the truss apparently weren't a safety issue.

I once read a cynical alternative meaning for CE, but can't remember what it was. Any suggestions?

Chinese Export, and I seem to remember that was how it's existence has been justified in the past when questioned....

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a little OT but this illustrates the zeal of the laser-banning local inspector. I visited the aforementioned venue today and the inspector has banned anyone from walking under a powered roller shutter door because it doesnt have a safe-edge detector.

It's a door on a rear alleyway and is one of those slow-moving ones like on a garage or shopfront operated by spring loaded key. The manager has had to display a sign on the staff noticeboard in the vein of; 'following our recent inspection, staff on foot must not stop under the moving roller shutter door such that the door constitutes a health hazard if it comes into contact with said staff member'.

Maybe the inspector was over-zealous about the laser, too.

We're still waiting for the creation of a Laser forum (it having been voted for 6 months ago) :blink:
You'll be pleased to know we're currently discussing it in Modland Nick, along with the creation of a few other fora as well, so keep your eyes glued to the front page in the next few weeks...

Archived