El-cheapo scan converter needed

Dave

A client of mine needs a scan converter to feed a PC into a vision mixer - he has next-to-no budget!

Have anyone tried this one from CPC?

Can anyone recommend anything else? I've only used Sony 1024s so don't really know what's at the other end of the scale.

A client of mine needs a scan converter to feed a PC into a vision mixer - he has next-to-no budget!

Can anyone recommend anything else? I've only used Sony 1024s so don't really know what's at the other end of the scale.

Laptop with s-video output?

s-video to composite adapter if required.

Or PC Graphics card with composite (TV out) will probably set you back a tenner from ebay.

Cheers,

Peter

Guys, thanks for your comments, but I'm afraid they are no use to me. I asked about scan converters because that's the only option as far as I know. The computer is a laptop without an SVHS (or composite) output - sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Guys, thanks for your comments, but I'm afraid they are no use to me. I asked about scan converters because that's the only option as far as I know. The computer is a laptop without an SVHS (or composite) output - sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

How much do you consider bank breaking?

The Kramer range of scan converters starts with the VP-501xl http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk/indexes...p?name=VP-501xl £299 + VAT List

yeah secondhand professional units off ebay are easy to find and much better quality than el'cheapo stuf from craplins.

Focus TView Pros are my favourite for value for money secondhand scanconverters.

Extron VSC range is also good but watch out for the lower end models much of them only support very low resolution input.

www.vjstore.org/scanconverters.php might be useful to you

Does the vision mixer not have RGBXY inputs? (normally BNC connectors)

If it has, just use a simple VGA-RGBXY cable to the vision mixer. How's £2.86 for a budget?

...although I assume you would n't be asking about a scan converter if you could use one of these?

I appreciate your willingness to offer advice but please, I wasn't born yesterday. My client's vision mixer is an Edirol V-4 which only has composite and S-video inputs. The laptops only have a VGA output. I am only interested in scan converters, unless there are any other gadgets I don't know about that can join the two together. Suggestions of pointing a camcorder at the screen will not be welcomed :unsure:

Cheap scan converters are usually pretty ordinary in the results department. Good costs money I'm afraid. If the PC signal is low enough resolution you may get an acceptable result, but there's no way to go from SXGA to composite and not loose fine detail. There's just not enough lines left!

Cheap scan converters are usually pretty ordinary in the results department. Good costs money I'm afraid. If the PC signal is low enough resolution you may get an acceptable result, but there's no way to go from SXGA to composite and not loose fine detail. There's just not enough lines left!

This is true, but you can get professional units very cheaply secondhand as the corporate world has given up on svideo / composite. These far out perform any of the new cheap plastic rubbish. Also converting from SXGA is foolish, your far better off converting from VGA or SVGA as the scaler has much less work to do.

Also converting from SXGA is foolish, your far better off converting from VGA or SVGA as the scaler has much less work to do.

Yes, some folk don't realise that you can't just convert one format to a lower one and not loose detail. Fine text for example just looks terrible.

Archived