Stretched (spandex/lycra) fabric

Jamtastic3

HI BR,

Well after having a disasterous attempt to flame proof stretched fabric (lycra/spandex) last year, I was wondering how I would be able to safely flame proof some new material for an installation.

The method I used was to soak the material in the solution and leave it to dry. But what happened was that the solution made the material lose all elasticity so I couldn't stretch it at all! DOH!

So any ideas? It needs to be very retardant for the installation and I don't think just spraying it will be enough.

Cheers!

HI BR,

Well after having a disasterous attempt to flame proof stretched fabric (lycra/spandex) last year, I was wondering how I would be able to safely flame proof some new material for an installation.

The method I used was to soak the material in the solution and leave it to dry. But what happened was that the solution made the material lose all elasticity so I couldn't stretch it at all! DOH!

So any ideas? It needs to be very retardant for the installation and I don't think just spraying it will be enough.

Cheers!

In my experience, you'll find there is no good way of doing it!

However (no preference here is being expressed on supplier other than the catalogue that was within reach) J&C Joel do a couple of fabrics that might work that are DFR. One called Ultra Stretch and one called Joelastic. Both in a few different colours and both durably flame retardent.

Cheers

Tom

Archived