Starter Lighting

Corporall Clegg

Aloha all

im new here so forgive me for my potentially boring questions

I am currently running mostly projection work and am going to invest in some par 64 RGB led cans 4,133 lux rating

im wondering if 8 is good place to start or if I should go with more (or Less) and or if I should go with a less powerfull RGB led can 199 lux and get double the amount possibly 14 or sixteen

most of the venues I will be working are small and standerd par cans are not really an opiton due to the high heat output

any help would be greatly appreciated :D

thanks

Aloha all

im new here so forgive me for my potentially boring questions

I am currently running mostly projection work and am going to invest in some par 64 RGB led cans 4,133 lux rating

im wondering if 8 is good place to start or if I should go with more (or Less) and or if I should go with a less powerfull RGB led can 199 lux and get double the amount possibly 14 or sixteen

most of the venues I will be working are small and standerd par cans are not really an opiton due to the high heat output

any help would be greatly appreciated :D

thanks

How about these? How much are the other ones that you have looked at?

http://cpc.farnell.com/ledj/ledj38/par-can...requestid=84082

Mr Clegg

This is a mainly British based forum- hence why it's going to be a little difficult for us to help you with specific fixture choices.

We have however covered LED parcans to death before, it may pay to do a search on previous topics to see what information has been covered in those first.

(ps, don't be too impatient if people view the topic and don't reply... it's probably just that they don't have anything to add to it...)

Where are you looking at purchasing these cans from? A local dealer? If so, are you able to borrow one to try it out first?

What exactly are you buying them to do? You said 'projection work'. So is the idea to make the leds into a matrix and then use them to make moving or interesting background, or to use them to light something. Personally, with LEDs, I'd have as many as the budget allows then you have far more scope. A few brighter ones if you just want to light something could be ok, but seeing venues where they've put in LED lighting as a no-focus rig, just giving general cover in different colours, they just don't work that well. So - tell us the application.

What exactly are you buying them to do? You said 'projection work'. So is the idea to make the leds into a matrix and then use them to make moving or interesting background, or to use them to light something. Personally, with LEDs, I'd have as many as the budget allows then you have far more scope. A few brighter ones if you just want to light something could be ok, but seeing venues where they've put in LED lighting as a no-focus rig, just giving general cover in different colours, they just don't work that well. So - tell us the application.

Thanks for getting back to me

The projection work was mentiond as what im doing curenntly I have ben asked to get some equipment for doing band lights (individual spots and ambiant uplighting) hence the choice of the led rgb most of these places I will be working in are very small and thats why im leaning to the led for 2 reasons 1 alot of these places have limited power and 2 many of them are so small the the lights will be right next to the bands and the heat can be an issue in that close of proximity I think to make my origanl question more clear ...is 8 par led rgb cans enough for small type lighting or should I say what is the lagest area I could use up to 8 lights in ..I have seen the output of the lower power 10m led rgb cans and it is okay for such things as washes but the beam angle and throw is not even half of the 1 watt rgb leds they are about 4 times brighter about equall to a 500 watt par 56 or 64 so ...I guess is it it better to have more lights to cover more area with less brightness or to have less lights to cover less area with more brightness and also this is a starting point and if things go well I can gradualy invest more to increase my equipment so in conclusion do you guys think that 8 par64 1watt led rgb cans is enough to get buy untill more can be purchased or is it just not enough to do proper small stage lighting

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Mr Clegg

This is a mainly British based forum- hence why it's going to be a little difficult for us to help you with specific fixture choices.

We have however covered LED parcans to death before, it may pay to do a search on previous topics to see what information has been covered in those first.

(ps, don't be too impatient if people view the topic and don't reply... it's probably just that they don't have anything to add to it...)

Where are you looking at purchasing these cans from? A local dealer? If so, are you able to borrow one to try it out first?

I am a dealer for these lights although my dealer cost is only about a 10% discount I just recived my dealership for them so I have not yet seen there product but many local lighting groups have said that they are the best that can be bought and are far better than any of the previous led rgb cans that have been on the market before this year the price is much more reasonable as well about 220usd per can with a 30degree beam angle and a 4300 lux output

Archived