I am looking for Lighting Training

Monkfish

I am based in swindon and looking for any free Lighting Training. Im not to sure where to start looking for this, but have heard some companies offer free training programs.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Several companies do free training on there consoles. Some companies charge. Are there any particular consoles you'd like to be trained on? Have a look at their websites.

Zero88

Avolites

Grand MA

Just a couple to get you started :** laughs out loud **:

Also, manufacturers on other products such as Moving Lights offer servicing training. Another link to get you started: Martin.

Hope this helps!

I learnt to use the Avolites Azure lighting desk in 1 day, cost me £30 including lunch, the last time I went; Avoites were based in Hangar Lane NW London, then I went to learn the Avolites Pearl desk, Avolites are pretty much industry standard in professional venues and clubs, learning the pearl was the best thing I ever did, especially when your freelance LJ'ing in London (everyone either had a pearl or the azzure), I did a few exhibitions too which used the pearl. Infact I demand an avolites desk for any lightwork I do now! I Wont touch a masterpiece no more when you have learnt the avolites gear!

I am based in swindon and looking for any free Lighting Training. Im not to sure where to start looking for this, but have heard some companies offer free training programs.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Should be fine Jamtastic. At least with the Masterpiece you have a full understanding of DMX as you're manipulating that without any middleman. The first desk I used was the Pulsar Masterpiece 216, and after I'd got my head around the personalities and fixture business on the avo desks it takes no time. Let us know how you get on Jam :** laughs out loud **:

I'm sure you can ask avolites to help you out with some training if you're buying direct from them!

Note that lighting console training is exactly that - Console Training.

The intent is to teach you how to use that particular lighting console or range of consoles, making the assumption that you already know at least a little bit about those or other lighting consoles.

It is not Lighting Training - every single one of those courses expect you to know the basics of dimmers, desk channels, DMX addressing and similar.

If you turn up to a console training course without knowing what dimmers are, then you won't learn anything and you'll probably annoy the other students as the trainer will have to reduce the scope of the training to try to help you catch up.

You won't find any free formal lighting training, as that is something that is offered by colleges and other commercial training centres and takes considerably longer than a day or two.

- Many of us actually learned our trade by working as casual crew for the local theatre, or the local amateur companies.

Archived