LS9 questions

wil_hob

I have just had to stand in at a venue with an LS9 (first time I've used the desk and only had 30 min or so to play) at short notice, most of the basic functions I found very easy to use. However I found myself wishing I had my 31 band EQs on the aux sends for the monitors as I found myself having trouble responding to feedback very quickly. Is there an easy way to set the desk so you can quickly notch out a frequecy if for instance a vocalist points a mic directly at a monitor etc. as you would on an analogue eq. any other helpful advice on the ls9 would be awesome cheers W.

On Our LS9 racks 1-4 are 31's. I patch them to the sends, and then use the fader assign to edit the EQ as needed. There's not an easier way (compared to turning and grabbing a fader on a rack)as far as I know

No you wouldn't. You have to press the rack button, then again to get the correct rack, then scroll to get the frequencies on faders button, which clearly is quite a faf. A user defined key can take you straight to the correct page (possibly with the fader function already enabled, I can't quite remember).

You can set any of the racks to be either 31 band graphics or 2 x 15band graphics and you do this by pressing both the rack buttons at once. You can then assign them across the insert of the appropriate mix.

Once you've done this you can go to that rack and set it so the faders are assigned to the bands - on the 32 channel you can control all 31 bands, on the 16 you can set it to which 16 bands you want. This is done by selecting the option at the bottom of the screen.

After this you can set it on a user defined key. Simply choose the key you want and hold the user defined key in until it says page bookmarked. This then takes you direct to that graphic should you want to. I usually put all my graphics on UDFs so that I can get to specific graphics quickly. If you press the rack button you may have to scroll through.

Hope that helps. Any other questions...?

Hope that helps. Any other questions...?

chears for the advice, I think I'll take some outboard to the next gig as a "comfort blanket". in addition can I send the aux mixs to the headphones?

We run an LS9 with an outboard Behringer feedback destroyer (the old one) not had a ring from the 2 onstage mixes (drum + front) at all. If only there was 1 built into the desk............

in new venues I sometimes run an ultragraph on a side chain out of the signal path, when ringing out the stage because it gives a visual cue of the ring - I wish someone would add the fbq function into higher end kit. (if I had perfect pitch this would obviously not be required!)

We are only in a 150 capacity venue with a 3m by 3m stage, fbq is essential as we have up to 8 bands a month, auto fbq is almost essential with the less experienced acts.

Got a few spare Ultragraphs but it takes time to find and adjust the frequency, a dedicated and trusted feedback destroyer does it all for you with minimal sound loss. Reset between sets and it's all tickety boo.

Got a dual 15 Ultragraph in my spare bedroom studio but the noise from it is unbearable. Might put it into my TV setup before I screw up any more recordings.

*EDIT*

It would just be a nice touch to have FBQ built into the LS9 software.

It's all about getting that little bit lazier. I understand that not everyone can pick out a frequency, but if you supply them with tools that do it automatically (and often destroy the sound at the same time) then they'll never learn. If they have to do it themselves, then they'll improve their skills.

It's like a car, if you learn in an automatic then you never learn to drive a manual. It's probably not the ideal example given that the last 2 cars I've had have been Automatic, though it IS because I'm lazy.

Maybe it's a useful feature to have, I don't know.

Back to the original topic though, taking outboard with you is one thing, but, where are you going to put it. Do you just mean EQ's that you'll run inline? that's fine, but comps and gates, you can soon run out of physical connections on the desk.

Back to the original topic though, taking outboard with you is one thing, but, where are you going to put it. Do you just mean EQ's that you'll run inline? that's fine, but comps and gates, you can soon run out of physical connections on the desk.

I was just going to take 4 31 bands to run inline on the aux sends, even one 4u rack is a tight squeeze in the venues sound box which is why I assume they have gone for an ls9 -16.

You can set any of the racks to be either 31 band graphics or 2 x 15band graphics and you do this by pressing both the rack buttons at once. You can then assign them across the insert of the appropriate mix.

Note that they are not 2x15 band. They are 2x31 band, with the limitation that you can adjust a maximum of 15 of the bands on each. (If you need to adjust that many, you are in major trouble.)

Archived