Painting/spraying drivers

Joe White

Got a question for you guys, I'm building a new pa System and what I'm looking to do as the name suggests is spray my drivers.

I'm curious as to 1 is it possible and 2 whats the best way. I'm thinking that if I use spray paint and take my time as in doing lots off lights layers then it will be fine as the paint particles will be like dust almost.

The drivers are peavey Black Widow 15" and Precision Device 18" Subs Drivers, The drivers are still in storage while the system is being built and I have a warm dry room undisturbed in where to paint. The colour is Harbor Blue/Sapphire Blue RAL 5003. Paint in mind is Matt or Gloss not sure which would be best. Thanks Joe

make a grill out of acoustically transparent gauze to go on the front of the cabinets and paint this instead of the drivers, it may affect the sound a little, but a lot less than painting the actual cones, I guess.

also remember your warm dry room needs good ventilation as well, if you are spray painting.

Yep we have a big extractor in the room also up in a ceiling panel, I have the custom grills built and painted blue, But I want to be able to see the driver. It might be worth me giving PD a call on Monday see what they say as they did say if I wanted a richer/deeper bass to use Thomson's clear water seal on the drivers, Thanks Joe

Perhaps I'm not being very helpful - but why?! As Rob said whatever paint you use it'll affect the sound, and it'll probably just make it look tacky... unless you're really after something special for a particular reason, I'd seriously consider just painting the grills or leaving them as they are.

As Ive said Berry Ive already got the grills and there already powder coated, But I want everything blue, The only thing on my cabs that wont be blue are the handles unfortunately and the surrounding of the blue Castor wheels. And I dont want foam as then you can see the drivers. :oneeyedsmiley02: Joe

Joe,

Here's the deal DRIVERS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE PAINTED. Should you choose to ignore the advice I like others are giving you then when you come back here saying that they sound like manure and/or have failed in some way then we'll probably just say we told you so. I'm not quite sure what sort of person thinks that "colour co-ordinating" the drivers to the rest of the box is consuming I can only hope it's the paint fumes that have gone to your head and that it will clear up soon.

Charlie

Why would you want to paint the cones? What advantage would this give you? if you are trying to look professional, cabs are black not blue. and those companies who do use blue painted cabs do not have blue cones.

to put it clearly,

Its a stupid idea, we've told you that and you are not listening to us.

We'll stop wasting out breath soon.

How about a horn-loaded cabinet design where the drivers can be completely out of view? Funktion One springs to mind, something not too dissimilar to that?

But would sadly cost a lot more than a tin of spray paint. I think we're all :rolleyes: on this one ;)

Archived