7.5 T Operatots License

russi666

Hi. I'm the Transport Manager for a firm in the North East, and have only ever worked with 3.5 tonne luton vans. Before I started the job we used to operate 7.5 tonners, but haven't for the past 3 years. We still have one, which has been sat untouched for 3 years. We are trying to get the 7.5 tonner back on the road, but the director who previously dealt with it has left the company. I have called VOSA, to ask what is required to use it, and they say that if we hadn't moved premises, we could use it immediately, but as we have moved we have to place an ad in the local paper, informing that we wish to operate vehicles from this site. Apparently the license was in the companies name, not the director who left.

Is this correct, as I was always under the impression that you needed someone who had been on the relevant course?

If I place an ad, with no complaints, and the van passes its test, will I be covered to use it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit lost to tell the truth.

Many thanks,

Russ

My experience with the company I used to work for was that when they moved the add had to be placed in the local paper. One resident ( I won't say local as he lived quite a distance from the unit) complained, because he was fed up with large trucks delivering to the builders merchants nearby, so used their application as a protest. This threatened to screw them, as the O Licence could have been revoked. However it turned out he was know to a director in the business as a previous next door neighbour. A friendy visit was made to explain the situation, and how loss of the O licence could kill the business, so he withdrew his compliant.

As you say it's linked to the business, and I'm not aware of any specific courses having to be attended to allow you to hold the O licence. There are the other requirements that have to fulfilled though.

Hi. I'm the Transport Manager for a firm in the North East, and have only ever worked with 3.5 tonne luton vans. Before I started the job we used to operate 7.5 tonners, but haven't for the past 3 years. We still have one, which has been sat untouched for 3 years. We are trying to get the 7.5 tonner back on the road, but the director who previously dealt with it has left the company. I have called VOSA, to ask what is required to use it, and they say that if we hadn't moved premises, we could use it immediately, but as we have moved we have to place an ad in the local paper, informing that we wish to operate vehicles from this site. Apparently the license was in the companies name, not the director who left.

Is this correct, as I was always under the impression that you needed someone who had been on the relevant course?

If I place an ad, with no complaints, and the van passes its test, will I be covered to use it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit lost to tell the truth.

Many thanks,

Russ

I would have thought that the VOSA are the best people to advise you on this.

There is ( or was) also lost of stuff on their website.

There may be a few bits of useful info in THIS TOPIC from ages ago or maybe THIS ONE which is more recent but possibly less useful.

The going on a course thing (CPC) is only required for a full Operators Licence. If you are simply using a truck for your own business you only need a restricted licence, for which there is no requirement to hold a CPC. Ideally you need to find your company's licence (bit of paper), which will have the details on it including how many vehicles you can use, when it expires etc. Then you can phone VOSA (or your local traffic commissioner's office) and they should be able to instruct you on the procedure to change the address. Phoning up the traffic office and saying that you've lost your licence doesn't look very professional and could warrant them to look into your case to see if you're deserving of a licence, rather than simply renewing it for you.

And don't forget depending when 'the driver' passed their normal driving test, they may or may not be able to drive a 7.5T.

I passed in 1987, so my driver's license allows me to drive a 7.5T, obviously subject to additional lisenses such as the O.

I'm not sure when it changed, but it was in the 90's :) so any who passed since then will need to take a test to cover their drivers' license.

http://www.mr-transportsolutions.co.uk/services/

It can be a minefield trying to sort it out. Depending on who you talk to, what your circumstances are etc. In the past I've always approached a company similar to the link (not an advert!). They charge you for setting everything up, but then your sorted and shouldn't have further problems.

You need to weigh up whether you do it right or blag it till you get caught and pay a very heavy fine/poss loose the business.

in order to get an operators licence you need to register a suitable place to park the truck(s) overnight {even if you don't own any trucks - we hire trucks but still need an operators licence and truck park}

in order to register as a truck park you need to have suitable off road parking and advertise in a local paper of your intentions (buy a copy of the paper to prove) the space can not already be registered to someone else

once this is done you can purchase your operators licence(s) - one per truck

in order to do this you need to prove amongst other things:

your company has enough money to maintain the truck(s)

your company / directors need to meet certain financial / criminal requirements

that you have a suitable maintenance system including fault reporting

you have suitable experience to manage the running of truck(s)

in order to prove the some of teh above, you may need to go on a course. we didn't have to as we dont own any trucks and we got the hire company to give us copies of their maintenance schedule

I still got 2 visits from VOSA ,

one was to check on our procedures with regard to maintenance and fault reporting by drivers - luckily we have a suitable system in place for our fleet of other company vehicles (daily checks, weekly checks, montly checks, log book with space for drivers coments and action taken on coments)

the second was to check we were operating correctly with regard to tachographs and drivers hours

Another question...

How long do I need the advert in the paper for?

Thanks very much to all of you.

Interesting that someone (the OP) who manufactures fireplaces classes himself as 'working in the Industry'........

Which industry would that be exactly?

Would you like to clarify?

Another question...

Interesting that someone (the OP) who manufactures fireplaces classes himself as 'working in the Industry'........

Im confused...on his profile it says working outside the industry?

Another question...

Go on open mouth, see if you can get the other foot in there....

Archived