Salary and overtime

pinkros

Hi all,

I've seen a job advertised that I'm very interested in applying for, however the job description does state the post is a 40- hour 'all-inclusive week' (I'm presuming this means the usual evenings/weekends) but also the post 'does not qualify for overtime and enhancements.' I'm going to call and ask what this looks like, as, for example, a Christmas show will always be more than 40 hours in any given week. Anyone else have a contract like that? Is it time off in leiu?

Salary would have to be pretty generous to make up for the amount of O/T you'd need to do in a busy theatre. Like you say in your original post, Panto alone would push your weekly hours well above the 40.

I have heard of a few senior roles done like this though, but they tend to be in places where the "technical director / manager / insert other senior job title" are made to do all of the paper work, whilst others work the shows. Theres not that many of them enjoy it after a while when they remember why we get into this business in the first place.

I'd say though, if it looks alright, then good luck!

All our production staff (me included) are on contracts like that - if you work more than your 40 hours per week, then you get that number of hours in lieu. Having said that, though, we don't do panto or the big Christmas seasons, so it's really only in production weeks when we go over our 40 hours. It balances out relatively well for me - I did manage to get 80 hours owed to me at one point, so I had two weeks off without using any of my leave up, but that was fairly unusual circumstances (working a kids show during the daytime while on show call at nights as well!) - normally the extra hours on production weeks are then balanced out by lighter show call only weeks.

As others have said "all inclusive" means the salary grade already incorporates enhancements for evenings/weekends, and that any overtime is taken as TOIL.

Not necessarily a bad thing, provided you are given opportunity to take the TOIL as well as the 4-5 weeks annual leave entitlement.

So I would be asking what the policy on TOIL is - for example, would they expect you to take it within x weeks of accruing it / would you be able to take, say, 5 days TOIL to give you a full week off (including two RDOs).

I have an annualised hours contract, no overtime. Simply a total number of hours to be worked in a year. EU max hours per week/time between shifts etc. still apply though.

It's not a bad arrangement although, if I were entering into a new contract now, I would try and push for some reward of either the late nights or weekend work, within reason.

Many thanks for the replies... I got a chance to talk through those tricky bits of the contract with someone from their office, and it is a mix of time off and possibly/maybe a bit of overtime payment for busy times. I guess it's just making sure you know what you're signing up for if given the opportunity! Application form well on its way, cheers for the input!

pinkros

Slightly OT aside, but I remember when ITN (under the influence of the grey suit brigade) imposed an annualised hours contract on their technical staff.

All went well for roughly six months until a number of their best cameramen, engineers and editors (the ones who spent their lives travelling to nasty places) started saying "bye....I've done my hours so see you next year".

A quick re-think was required.

I suppose annualised hours could work in a theatre situation where there really are weeks with nothing happening, but it sure as heck didn't work in news where somebody taking a DOIL almost always needed replacing by an expensive freelancer.

Bob

Archived