DMX pass thru/y split

noheadphones

Is there any technical difference between a DMX Y split and a bridged pass thru assuming you do not use the DMX out on a fixture. Example: say you were installing some fixtures and you only used the DMX In, but you carried the DMX thru to the next fixture with-in the wall plate. Would this cause a problem?

Noheadphones

To split a DMX line, you need a DMX splitter/buffer box.

I see what you mean in theory, but you'd need to terminate the 'out' of the fixture. However, if you've split in the wall plate, that line isn't really terminated, but going on to another fixture. I expect it would cause problems as that sort of connection is not part of DMX spec, as well as confusing the hell out of anyone else using the system.

It's just wrong.

yes this most probably will cause you problems. The wires which tee off from the data line to the receiver chip must be kept as short as possible. The signal becomes badly distorted if they are not.

In the example you gave anyone could easily put a long cable in from the wall plate to the fixture or daisy chain another fixture from it.

I'm pretty sure the unit would have to go down in a big way for it to disrupt the rest of the DMX line i.e. melt/explode in which case you'd probably want to stop the show/event anyway. It's been a while since I tinkered with this stuff but if I remember correctly almost all moving heads have a chip that converts the +/- signals into a standard digital signal and also provides some electrical isolation.

Germaine

Is there any technical difference between a DMX Y split and a bridged pass thru assuming you do not use the DMX out on a fixture. Example: say you were installing some fixtures and you only used the DMX In, but you carried the DMX thru to the next fixture with-in the wall plate. Would this cause a problem?

Noheadphones

It depends on how long the lead to the fixture is. If you're being pedantic it should be less than a 1/10th of the rise time of your DMX signal, practically if it's under 10m it will work provided everything else in the system is good & you only terminate the end of the longest run. However doing it a wall plate means that if you do plug a long cable in it'll stop working in a random fashion.

(...)

It depends on how long the lead to the fixture is. If you're being pedantic it should be less than a 1/10th of the rise time of your DMX signal, practically if it's under 10m it will work provided everything else in the system is good & you only terminate the end of the longest run. However doing it a wall plate means that if you do plug a long cable in it'll stop working in a random fashion.

10m is about 30ft that's three times as long as the problematic length mentioned above in the post mentioned by smalljoshua.

Y-splitting DMX lines is not recommended (strongly discouraged/not allowed) for multiple reasons, for one thing it can lead to weird behaviour, for another if you terminate every line the total resistance will be to low which basically amounts to a short and your equipment may be damaged (as mentioned by Nick Mobsby in Practical DMX).

Archived