chamsys ethernet help...

monkeypuzzle

I've put a laptop into a venue running magicq using my open usb adapter. The enttec has now packed up and I really don't want to leave my desk in the so I'm desperatly trying to connect my chamsys ethernet to DMX adapter to a laptop instead but I'm having no luck what so ever. networks are abit of a mystery to me, do I need a x over cable like with the desk? the link/act light comes on with both x and standard but no DMX lights light up and my laptop doesn't recognise the network.... help! got to get it in there in the next hour! otherwise could just put the desk in but I can't be there to look after it.....

Cheers, matt

I know it's over an hour since you posted so this is probably a bit too late but to help in the future.

Firstly I'm fairly sure that you will need a cross over cable. It's normal to need a cross over cable when connecting device to device although there are exceptions to the rule, however if your connecting devices via a router/switch then straight cables should be used. I can't say for sure though as I've never used the Chamsys Ethernet interface but I suspect that a cross over cable is required.

Also as the computer will be talking to the interface using Artnet, you will need to make sure that the IP address of the computer/console is in the 2.x.x.x range and that your subnet is set to 255.0.0.0 for it to work. You will also need to make sure you have configured the universes correctly in the DMX I/O window in setup.

All the information you should need can be found in the Chamsys Guide to DMX, Ethernet and Artnet and Interfacing to DMX Interfaces

Firstly I'm fairly sure that you will need a cross over cable

Most equipment built within the last few years shouldn't need a crossover cable. With 10/100 interfaces, most now have a feature called 'Auto MDIX' which automagically swaps round the TX and RX pairs. You can connect the devices together with either a 1-1 patch cable or a crossover cable, and both will work.

Martin

Also as the computer will be talking to the interface using Artnet, you will need to make sure that the IP address of the computer/console is in the 2.x.x.x range and that your subnet is set to 255.0.0.0 for it to work. You will also need to make sure you have configured the universes correctly in the DMX I/O window in setup.

All the information you should need can be found in the Chamsys Guide to DMX, Ethernet and Artnet and Interfacing to DMX Interfaces

Cheers, I thought it would be something like that, I looked at those pages before you posted but being a bit of a network numpty, I have no idea how to set the address of my laptop..... vista if anyone can help... :)

This is slightly offtopic but: 2.0.0.0/8 to the best of my knowledge is a public IP range that would be routable from the internet.

Though 2.0.0.0/8 seems unused at this time that could change with the lack of IPv4 addresses...

Does anyone know why the developers chose for that class A network as opposed to the private 10.0.0.0/8?

Archived