To cue from score or not to cue from score?

Thank you all for your responses!

I am currently brushing up on my skills and as many of you have suggested I am going to cue from the reduced piano version as I have a feeling I will have quite a lot of LX cues that are dependant on the musical position and there is quite long instrumentals in each piece.

So any other tips on score reading would be much appreciated.

Thank you all,

Sam

OK handy hints - try to ensure you are calling the show in a position where you can see the MD or whoever is conducting the band, as well as the stage - get a pit monitor if possible - door security video systems can be a cheap way of doing this. Also, the most important bit for "keeping up" is the time signature - i.e. the number of beats to a bar. This can change frequently in some music (contemporary opera is probably the prime culprit for this). Count all the time - someone mentioned tapping the desk with your pencil- that's a good idea. Also identify key reference points before big cueing sequences, so if you do get lost you have a way of getting back into it. Also mark repeats very very clearly

but if you have a good ear and a good "theatrical" sense, and can multitask, you don't need to be Grade 8 scorereading. I've found that I've used a combination of all the methods described in the other posts apart from bryson's hitec clicktrack stuff.

OK Thanks, also sort of related we dont have any cue lights in our venue and so how do I cue the MD??

We have a normal tech pro comms system so I will probably run the std. comms (lx, me, asm's etc.) off circuit A and run the MD and band off circuit B however is there something you can plug into the system that when you press the signal button it produces a large flash (like a beacon or something) or can anyone got any tips on how to bodge one up.

I hope I made myself clear.

Sam

Sam, other than throwing the MD on at the top of each act, he will probably q himself all the way through, so not to worry about lack of q-lights. Although I believe you can hire quite cheap systems.

As for the handy hints - keep as close an eye on the MD and rehearsal pianist as possible during rehearsals. They will often cut bars, passages, or throw in extra repeats or vamp bars. it is not uncommon to cut complete sections and replace with an entirely different link! Whilst they will tell their orchestral comrades, they probably won't tell you about it! - not out of spite you understand, just a lack of knowledge of your job.

enjoy!

mike

one thing that will bugger you up for certain is when things go a little wrong, singer wise and the md skips, repeats or forces through something not in the score. It rarely happens with opera, but is quite common in the early days of a show, until things settle down. I've found the MD will be very reluctant to wear anything that blocks up an ear. having a headset available is useful, but it's doubtful he would listen to the cueing anyway. You normally have to go with him.

I agree that for most stuff, grade 8 isn't needed. In fact, the most important thing is to make sure you can follow rhythms, pitch is relative and as long as you can see the line moving up as the pitch increases you can work it out. Usual ####-ups for new readers are getting the tempo exactly half or double, so you are counting wrong - if there are words visible it's easier, but instrumental music is more difficult. It's easy to be counting quavers instead of crotchets. as long as it's in 34 or 44 it isn't too bad. Worst I had was an irish dance spectacular - following that was a nightmare!

<offtopic>

I just made a homemade cuelight system once with a pair of old walkie talkies. I just opened one up and found the beeper that sounded when you pressed the call button on the other unit and hooked it up to an LED. Hey presto, a wireless little lightcue thing - just keep the other walkie talkie near you and press thecall button (or rewire that one up to a little doorbell switch so its easier to press or something)...

</offtopic>

• 5 months later...
As someone suggested, get hold of a CD of the show and listen to it (lots of times!) while following the score, and once you have cues, call the show to the CD (if you have time between plotting and opening night!) which will help you learn it. Good luck!

I used to play piano, read music pretty well, lost the skills almost.

Then did a show requiring score reading, it was great to get back into it! Probably the most enjoyable opping was having a score to follow! ** laughs out loud **!

And I only could read music at Grade 2, more than enough tho, but then I do have a 'musical ear'. (it squeaks!! ;))

Archived