Ozone cabinets

glossy

Has anyone else used one of these?We are considering getting one as it would seem to save a whole lotta money in the long term.Its a cabinet that you put costumes in and the ozone gets rid of any nasty niffs.

www.elozo.fi

this is in finnish but I am sure there must be an english version somewhere.9I have been reading the leaflet and it all looks too good to be true so I reckoned I would ask on here if anyone had used one or if anyone even knew of any company that already had one of them and indeed how come (after 30 years in theatre) had I never heard of this before?

I know I havent been in for a while but just back from tour.Now in the office for 3 weeks only!!

Glo

Nope, I've never seen them before either. It would be interesting to know the cost of purchase and shipping but, in the long run, it must work out cheaper than dry cleaning.

Keep us informed if you do investigate further.

Vodka and Water - one of the best de-odorisors around... and it is cheap. Put about an inch of vodka in a misting spray bottle, top up with water. Lightly spray the costumes after the show. Et Voila.

You need to be careful with using ozone, as it is highly corrosive and rubber objects to deteriorate much faster than they would naturally, and will also cause metals to rust faster.

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/OZ/ozone.html

Ozone does sanitise, it doesn't clean. It does irritate the respiratory system and will put potential asthmatics at increased risk.

Ozone kills rubber inc elastics.

You WILL have to monitor a potentially hazardous gas for your COSHH regime

You may find benefit for some items but dirt removal by wet or dry cleaning will still be needed.

Sanitising by ozone (or ethylene oxide) Is best for use in commercial laundries where they have the facility to monitor the COSHH implications and the throughput of work to make it viable. (think hospital sterile supplies units).

I haven't used one of these wardrobes but I have used a small plug-in unit for about the home to get rid of cooking smells and the like. It works quite well and definitely gets rid of cooking smells. Definitely be careful of people with respiratory problems - we put the death of our canary down to the unit. (Random I know but the Vet did verfiy this). Like being down the mines again!

It might be worth a try to get a plug in unit first to see if it works at all before spending lots of money? It's this kind of thing clicky although this looks different to the one we have, it does the same thing. I find that to get rid of smells like fish etc it doesn't take that long - maybe an hour, so maybe if you don't have too much costume, a plug in unit would suffice?

Hope this helps

Emma.

I haven't used one of these wardrobes but I have used a small plug-in unit for about the home to get rid of cooking smells and the like. It works quite well and definitely gets rid of cooking smells. Definitely be careful of people with respiratory problems - we put the death of our canary down to the unit. (Random I know but the Vet did verfiy this). Like being down the mines again!

It might be worth a try to get a plug in unit first to see if it works at all before spending lots of money? It's this kind of thing clicky although this looks different to the one we have, it does the same thing. I find that to get rid of smells like fish etc it doesn't take that long - maybe an hour, so maybe if you don't have too much costume, a plug in unit would suffice?

Hope this helps

Emma.

I had a friend that worked in wardrobe and she mentioned it once. They were using antique clothing and wanted to try it because she thought it would work better then dry cleaning vintage garments.

And you still use this device!? I'd do what the miners did when their canary died!

Archived