wireless lectern microphone

simplay13

Hi

Im currently doing a church install at the moment and the PCC have asked for a strange request.

They want the lectern mic to be wireless. This is because the lectern is moved around a lot.

My first thought was to use a radio transmitter strapped to the lectern and cable an audio technica gooseneck into the beltpack.

This isnt ideal as it will look abit untidy, but also I was wondering as the lectern mic needs phantom will the beltpack be able to supply this?

The wireless system will be either a Sennheiser EW300 G2 or a Sennheiser FreePort. Considering you can get condenser versions of the lapel/headsets im guessing that would work OK but can anyone tell me for certain?

Does anyone know a better way to do this? Its need to be fairly discreet so a normal radio handheld transmitter would not work unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

Simeon

Sennheiser do a "lump" transmitter with an XLRF that can plug straight in to the end of a mic. If that's unsightly, a short cable would allow the lump to be put somewhere more discreet. It may supply phantom but you'd have to look that one up.

Unfortunately only seems to be available for 100 or 500 series G2 (and 3000 series), but will obviously work with 300 series.

It does have switchable phantom as it is designed for presenter condensers.

100 (as part of a kit, I imagine it is available as a part from Sennheiser also)- http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_...0-series_021418

500 - http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_...ies_main_021640

Edit: switchable, 1 word or 2? firefox says 2, Sennheiser say 1.

Agreed. Go for the plug in transmitter.

I'm currently working on a mobile lecturn. Using 3 of these and a larger PSU that runs on a battery that can be charged or plugged straight into the mains.

It is however at the bottom of a long list. I have the lecturn, and 2 of the 3 plug in transmitters, that's all for now.

We do this often, although not with the equipment you specifically talk about. You need a lectern mic that only requires the capsule bias (which most radio mic packs can supply), rather than the full phantom supply, i.e. a lectern mic without its integral pre-amp. We use a Shure MX series mic with in-line amplifier (MX412SE/ MX418SE), remove said pre-amp from the cable and then attach the relevant radio mic connector on the end. This then plugs straight into a radio pack.

You could also use any standard gooseneck microphone with a battery-powered phantom PSU hidden in the lectern, which in turn is plugged into the transmitter.

Those plug-on Sennheiser transmitters are very ugly.

It does have switchable phantom as it is designed for presenter condensers.

500 - http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_...ies_main_021640

Only the SKP 500 G2 has 48V phantom power. (The SKP 3000 for use with 3000 or 5000 series receivers also has 48V phantom power.) Yes that is 48V from 2 x AA cells. :P Yes it does affect the battery life. :D

Quite a lot of installations already use the SKP 500 G2 with lectern mics. Quite often the transmitter is even mains powered by using the 'DC 2' adaptor. The reason being there is veryn often mains available at the lectern but no provision has been made to run any mic cables...

N.B. ***** The SKP 100 G2 does not have phantom power. *****

[The same applied to the earlier 'G1' Evolution 'plug on' transmitters, no phantom power on SKP 100. Switchable 48V phantom on SKP 500. Only in those it was from a 9V. ]

I would just set the podium up with a standard goosneck mount and then clip a Shure WL185 wireless lav to the top of the goosneck. The WL 185 is the same element Shure uses some of their better podium mics and it will plug into any wireless beltpack, plus they would have the option of using it for a lav if they ever needed to. I generally try to keep things as simple, low cost and flexible as possible for installs, churches especially tend to appreciate it.

Personally I am actually building a podium base for a lav mic out of a project box and a shure ulx transmitter. I plan on having it setup to hold 4-8 batteries or possibly a 9.6v batter pack from an rc device. I figure the extra batteries will help weigh it down and also help insure that it doesn't go dead in the middle of an event

I would look for a cable solution, almost regardless of their wishes! In two years radio mic spectrum (RF) may still exist but will likely be at another band outside the current capabilities of economy equipment. There is every chance that a UHF radio mic will be a doorstop only in two years.

Only people with real, immediate and profitable need, should be buying radio hardware til the spectrum allocation is settled.

Hi again.

Thanks for all your replies.

I have looked into various options, the JTS wireless gooseneck does seem to be one of the better options as well as the SKP500 transmitter.

I have given the client the option of both of those and shown him the price difference versus the wired version, so will wait to hear an outcome.

Many Thanks for your help again

Sim

Archived