Strand quartet 25 profiles- maintanace

Louis sullivan NLS

Yep you take them apart by the 4 screws on the front of the casing to the side of the lens.

Be careful opening the quartets, the only way to to any electrical maintainnance on them is to carefullt slip the hinge off the handle part of the lantern. I have snapped one of these, so it is possible, but it is the only way to do it.

carefullt slip the hinge off the handle part of the lantern. I have snapped one of these, so it is possible, but it is the only way to do it

On the right hand side by the cable entry where the case is usually hinged open there is actually a small space to fit a screwdriver where the circular part of the hinge pops off and the lantern can be taken apart. This may not be too easy to understand but next time you have a quartet look by the cable entry for the circular part!

Apologies for the terrible description I'll take an image next time I'm near one,

Chris

Apologies for the terrible description I'll take an image next time I'm near one,

I'd be very grateful if someone would put a few pictures and a few words of encouragement about cleaning/servicing Quartets on the Wiki (for instance). There have been a number of comments about the difficulty of doing this here recently. I have a number of Fresnels and profiles, and, once - having an odd half hour - thought that I would improve light output with a bit of a clean. However, I could see this was almost certainly not going to be an 'odd-half-hour job.

Any advice - particularly with pictures - appreciated.

Nigel

See here.

The fresnels are a dream to clean compared to the profiles - open up the lamp tray, take the little metal clip out that holds the lens in, take the lens out, wipe it a bit, and do all that in reverse. In comparison, the profiles involve practically diassembling the entire bloody thing. That's easy enough, but once you've taken the five minutes to get the lens tube to fall apart and give the lenses a bit of a clean, it'll take you more like five hours to put your first one back together. You get the hang of it after a while, but they are horrendous! Plus it's possible to bend the screws that hold the lens tube together if you're a bit silly (like me) and let the weight of the lens tube rest on one while you're trying to remove it.

The best tip is to stand it upright before you start - that way the gate assembly doesn't fall apart when you take the lens tube off. Make a note of which way the metal plates go as well - it's not rocket science really, but the first time I did a few they went back together and almost got put to use before I realised that the shutters wouldn't stay put. :)

Archived