Pre or Post Fader?

Silvershads

Hi Folks

I have another thread running here regarding sound on stage but wanted to ask this question in a separate thread...

Am I correct in the assumption that monitors should always be pre-fader rather than post-fader? I'm going to double check how we have the Yamaha MG24/14 set up but I'm pretty much of the opinion that we should be Pre-fader because surely we want the monitor circuit static when we're changing individual fader volume on desk. My assumption is that post-fader will have the effect of upping the volume of the monitors when we increase the volume of the fader, not something we want to happen...

Cheers

Chris

If the desk is doing both FOH & mons then yes, it is best to run monitors pre fade, for the reasons you give.

I thought you were going to be running another desk for mons? If so, post fade tends to be more normal, though there advantages to both ways & I'll often use a combination (given a desk that has switches to do that).

If the desk is doing both FOH & mons then yes, it is best to run monitors pre fade, for the reasons you give.

I thought you were going to be running another desk for mons? If so, post fade tends to be more normal, though there advantages to both ways & I'll often use a combination (given a desk that has switches to do that).

Thanks, folks - for the answer to this one. I thought that pre- was the way but wanted the word from the experts. Ta.

Mark, nope - although we have two Sabine 2400s for feedback control, one for mains and one for monitors, we don't have a separate desk for monitors. There's no more space in the van! :)

Cheers

Chris

I was using an old Behringer desk last night that is always stuck on post fade ... thankfully I was able to mix using sub groups, and that it was a very basic set-up, otherwise I would keep on getting eyes from the band when their monitor mix would change ...

Is there a desk where there is a changeable level on pre-post fade? i.e. I would like the Vox channels to be part post fade, but mainly pre fade. The changes in the monitor mix when changing a Vox channel from backing mix to primary is quite significant, but if someone did a desk where you could set the "post fade" effect on a channel then I imagine that it could do quite well! I would love to have a little bit of post fade on some channels, but most that I have seen are all or nothing ...

Depends what application. If you are doing live theatre and have to give the 'pit' vocals from the stage from the lavaliere mics, the aux sends have to be post fade, otherwise you will get all radio mics through there not just the ones from on stage which you wanted.

also, post fade on any sources that have to be faded - so backing tracks, or wild tracks that may need to be cut at certain points. It does make level setting a bit more tricky, but the ability to choose is the reason the button is there on each channel.

Soundcraft Live desks may have a problem as well. I always set my faders to 0dB and use the gain to balance the mic levels. I then fade the channels in and out using 0dB as my 'marker'. I find this way smoother and easier.

Soundcraft Live desks may have a problem as well. I always set my faders to 0dB and use the gain to balance the mic levels. I then fade the channels in and out using 0dB as my 'marker'. I find this way smoother and easier.

No pops on my Live 4/2 - and, now that I've replaced the transformer mountings, the power supply doesn't hum for England any more either.

I think it is all down to a clean mains supply weather the clicks/pops happen or not. Personally I use the faders. Muting channels during a musical when you have 12+ mics + overheads and boundaries is just looking for trouble, each to their own though.

also, post fade on any sources that have to be faded - so backing tracks, or wild tracks that may need to be cut at certain points. It does make level setting a bit more tricky, but the ability to choose is the reason the button is there on each channel.

Paul, that makes absolute sense. Thanks. We do in fact do music clubs where we use our sound system and backing tracks are indeed a part of the whole. I'll remember that input from external sources like backing tracks and midi systems should be post-fader rather than pre- .. great!

Cheers

Chris

Archived