amp clipping when volume gains turned past 1 quarter

psy

just wondering what causes the amp to clip is it the signal coming into it being too much or the amp itself. when I run my djm600 with the master and channels just peaking before the red I cant turn my amp past 1/4 of the way or the clipping leds start to blink.

now the music is loud enough for what I need to not need to turn the amp past 1/4 but I was wondering is it right or is there something I can do. could it be anything to do with the sensitivity switch on the amp which is currently set to 1.v even though the XLR outs im using are rated at 1.23v the other options I have are 1.44 or 0.775v

is this possbly the problem or is the mixer just driving more into the amp than it should be?

trying to see if I can find out anything out about this before I play tonight at 9. cheers

You can carry on as you are now (using the amp attenuator at 1/4) or set the input sensitivity to 1.44V. In the latter case, you should be able to run your desk as you do now (without the amp clipping), but with a small drop in output level.

In either case, when the amp clip light comes on - that's as much power as it can deliver before going into distortion from clipping of the input signal.

You can carry on as you are now (using the amp attenuator at 1/4) or set the input sensitivity to 1.44V. In the latter case, you should be able to run your desk as you do now (without the amp clipping), but with a small drop in output level.

In either case, when the amp clip light comes on - that's as much power as it can deliver before going into distortion from clipping of the input signal.

thats what I thought myself but I just thought id check. like I said its more than loud enough anyway but you know what its like you always wonder if theres some way you can get a wee bit more from it. :P

There is a small recessed level control next to the output section on the back of the 600. If you turn this down it will attenuate the output gain.

It's very handy for matching the desk to all sorts of different systems.

You're better off selecting the sensitivity of the amp to match the mixer as close as possible so the mixer levels more accurately reflect what the amp is doing. But you've pretty much answered this one already!

And for keeping things under control when you get a few people "operating" the equipment who like to see red.

not so much of a problem when im using my own gear and im the only one playing but that does my head in when im playing out in a nightclub where a few djs are playing cos theres some who obviuosly dont realise what the wee lights on the mixer are for. in fact a guy playing after me 2 weeks ago in traks in portrush actually played with the levels that high and the master that high that he blew out the bassbins and the sound was crap the rest of the night. thankfully id already finished :P

Then the sound installer should have put in a compressor-limiter or DLMS. You CAN NOT trust a visiting DJ to respect red-lines and levels..they WILL clip, overload, and eventually wreck a sound system not so-equipped.

Apologies and due respect to any conscientious member DJ's.

Quite easily. The fact is, that bass is often a mono source. Even if set up in stereo. what goes to one goes to the other. It makes sense that if one sub dies, the other is put through the same punishment and will fail also. And the rest.

A particular driver might be weaker than another and fail first. but when one fails. you've lost a portion of your LF so you drive the remaining boxes harder to compensate until there is nothing left.

Rob

Surely anyone with a pair of ears would detect distortion?

Probably. It's whether they're bothered / want to do something about it that's important. More often than not when I encounter a dj playing, the PA sounds pretty poor - dead drivers, distortion, cheap kit etc. They either don't notice or don't care.

Archived