Projection on to a double bed

James Remo

Hey there.

A client of mine wishes to project content on to the duvet of a double bed for a promo event I'm helping him out with. I know you can't run most projectors vertically, and as the event is in a low height room with no possible rigging that idea was out straight away. So the idea was to build a plinth behind the bed with a cantilever out over the bed with a front surface mirror to reflect the projected image down. So projector at ceiling height over the headboard projecting towards the foot board, with a front surface mirror bouncing the image down. I've got my measurements and throw distance sorted, I've found the front surface mirror (or one that will work but is a bit heavy....) but can't find a good solution for fixing and positioning the mirror. I thought of using an arri magic arm to position the mirror, but can't think of a way of attaching a spigot to the mirror in a tidy way. I'd be worried to use a K clamp cause I'd probably break the mirror. The mirror I've found will weigh just under 2kg (6mm thick, 1' by 1'6" size) so I'm trying to find a thinner and lighter alternative. Any ideas?

Get in touch with somebody at the National Media Museum (Bradford). They have an exhibit where they project onto a bed. Pretty sure the projector is directly above the bed, but I was quite young last time I went and wasn't looking from a technical point of view!

How big is the mirror??

Disco scanners use a very heavy duty sticky pad -double sided adhesive with a thin strong foam in the middle. Look in car spares shops for the adhesive that sticks number plates or replacement mirror glasses. Some truck mirrors are approaching a foot long so there should be suitable adhesive available for a medium mirroe.

sanyo do a projector you can hang anyway up

using a mirror:

front surface of course

we hold ours with a magic arm

the 3mm 12in x 12in mirror is bonded to an old vesa spigot we had

that's a very thick mirror you have, you'll need to put it in a frame

Also consider using a foil mirror, much lighter, safer (no glass involved to break) but also fragile... a fingerprint will taint the surface noticeably, and as its under tension not good around sharp things...

I know Anna Valley had several made up for World Travel Market last year, and probably still have them... I don't know what size you need, but if they haven't got one they certainly know where to go to get them made up!

Foil Mirrors usually come on a steel or aluminium frame which you can drill and screw into (using a lot of care) to suit your application....

Hope this helps

Charlie

Although manufacturers (such as Barco) say that a projector can not be tilted more than a set amount of degrees in any direction, I toured a projector without any problems for over 6 months hanging vertically downwards and one of the uses was onto a bed. We were using a Barco CLM R10 with a great bit of 'custom engineered' bracket which XL Video had made for us. We had several of the projectors go down on us during the tour, but it was never the overhead, which also had its shutter in much of the time as well!

The overhead effects onto the stage floor and props can be fantastic, it is well worth trying to make a solution.

The mirror quality isn't great but might be ok - there is a material which is mirrored and slightly flexible - often used for stage valance etc - try theplasticshop.co.uk - they will cut to any size and shape

for the record, you can point any of the new sanyos , xp100/200, xt21-35 and panasonic pt 5700 etc straight up or down or indeed any angle other than on their sides with their blessing... im aware that many users point them in all the "illegal" angles for long periods with no problems but the manufacturers will not warrant it { ive enquired}.

We have frames that support a panasonic 5700 pointing straight up onto an adjustable surface mirror . These were built by Paradigm and are a neat solution and not particularly expensive. Ovbiously we rent these out....

if you want to make your own mount, id get the mirror mounted in a metal frame, then you have abit of added durablity plus something you can attach to.

You can also use a Hitachi Cpa 100 projector on its side, this would mount just above and behind the headboard and avoid the messing about... It may give you too large an image , but have a look as its a neat solution if it works

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/product...2&proid=608 for the lowdown

Archived