Dichroic glass in Pars...

vbm

I've only ever used the Lee range of dichroic filters on architectural fixtures. Really really good colours and life expectancy, but quite expensive.

what you looking to do with them? If the fixtures are easilly accessable, or will change often, then Gel is still probably a better option.

Why is this one for the old folks?

I've recently acquired some Par 64 frames with built-in dichroic filters. In my (almost) twenty years of lampying I've never come across it, and given where I got them from it seemed like it might be a very old school technique. The colours are amazing but they just seem terrifyingly fragile and I'd be petrified of breaking them in transport or use! I wouldn't want to tour them...

vbm

Dichroic colour filter is relatively new in itself, mid 70s (?), first used in heavy science things like astronomy.

It was one of the trade secrets Vari Lite was keen to protect orginally.

ACR Laser of Switzerland was one of first to use them in an entertainment setting which gave Coemar, Robot and Clay Paky, Golden Scan the idea of using them, thats the story I vaguely remember.

Problem with big dichros apart from cost and fragility is colour shift off axis.

• 2 weeks later...

would help to know where you are based, but I get mine via Black-light in edinburgh, as I'm based up here. I'd guess anyone who does Lee Filters, Rosco etc will have access to them.

AC lighting might even have an accurate price on their website.

Lee sell dichroic colour filters in a wide range of sizes, very expensive though and fragile.

The main application is for fixed architectural lighting with little risk of breakage, last time I ordered any they cost from £30 up to nearly £100 each! You can buy a vast amount of gel for that sort of money.

I would suggest that dichroic filters might be worth it for semi-permanent installs or very long running shows, but not for general theater use.

Years ago coloured PAR 56 lamps existed, though only in a limited range of colours. (probably made of coloured glass, not dichroic)

GU10 (240 volt) and MR16 (12 volt) lamps are available cheaply with built in dichroic colour filters.

The 12 volt lamps are available in a large range of colours, red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, violet, magenta, pink, and daylight.

These are useful for lighting stage areas in pubs etc. but have limited application for proper theatre.

Archived