Sound Installation

steve1981

I have been asked to re callibrate a sound system in a local bar. They have soundweb installed so I will be using that to arrange the sound around the building through speakers of various sizes and volumes. The prgramming side of soundweb I am fine with, but what kind of other things do I need to remember when doing it?

I mean, is there certain laws or legal requirements to uphold? Limits to sound volumes? What do I need to bare in mind while taking on this job?

Thanks,

Steve.

Common sense and a good set of ears is about all you need other than the knowledge of using soundweb.

If there ARE any noise limits in the building (which there should be) you need to discuss this with the management and then make measurements yourself using a suitable meter. They MAY be required to get an independant measurement inside or outside the building depending on why the limits are inplace.

Common sense and a good set of ears is about all you need other than the knowledge of using soundweb.

If there ARE any noise limits in the building (which there should be) you need to discuss this with the management and then make measurements yourself using a suitable meter. They MAY be required to get an independant measurement inside or outside the building depending on why the limits are inplace.

Oh right. Is there not a specific limit anywhere then? Like a health and satefy thing? I thought I overheard someone say something about it when they recalibrated the system last time.

Steve.

Sound limits are set but the local authority and there are two types. An indoor level and and outdoor level, i.e. in the venue and the blead though the walls to outside. Your best bet is to speak to the local authority about this.

If there is no limit indoors then just find a level that is not painfull when stood in the room

there is never any point in making the music/sound to loud destroys the atmosphere etc

hope this helps

Oh right. So there is not a 'set' legal procedure. I just need to get the two values, indoor and outdoor. Does the outside volume mean with the doors open (which they will be when the bar is open) or closed? A stupid question I know but will make a lot of difference to the volume.

Someone mentioned to me about a certain limiter that was in a different venue because they had a noise order put against them. Can anyone explain what this is and the proper name for it? why it gets issued? What measures need to be taken to meet the order?

Noise limiters are horrible things that just cut power when limit is exceeded. They are usually a result of residential complaint (escaping noise).

You really should just ask the venue about all this. They will have all the details, including their risk assessment and solutions to noise in the workplace.

Noise limiters are horrible things that just cut power when limit is exceeded. They are usually a result of residential complaint (escaping noise).

You really should just ask the venue about all this. They will have all the details, including their risk assessment and solutions to noise in the workplace.

Oh brilliant. I was hoping it was going to be that straight foward but some "genuis" told me that there was loads and loads of rules that had to be obayed.

Ill get cracking then. ** laughs out loud **

Thanks.

Noise limiters, as horrible as they may appear are to me, a challenge rather than a pain in the rear. Get the most out of the system by careful and sensible (and of course safe) placement of speakers. Careful speaker management to reduce offending band passes or individual frequencies that cause problems, though leaving the sound as black and white as possible.

What kind of advice would you offer with regards to setting up a system? Say someone called up and wanted an install to go into a new bar. What would the process be?

What amps and speakers would you personally match together and how would you decide?

Do you run the cabling for it al, or would you get an electrician/other builder to do it?

What kind of advice would you offer with regards to setting up a system? Say someone called up and wanted an install to go into a new bar. What would the process be?

What amps and speakers would you personally match together and how would you decide?

Do you run the cabling for it al, or would you get an electrician/other builder to do it?

To be honest, I'd recommend they looked at talking to established companies with a track record in this kind of weork. You could probably work closely with such a company and learn a lot at the same time about the process. I'm not discouraging you but such companies usually get a better discount on a wider range of gear, will have Public Liability Insurance (if you installed the speaker and it fell out of the sy and hit someones head, brain damaging them would you want suing?) and probably to back-up to help maintain and install it correctly. I've been involved in loads of installs over the years and, spent loads of time trying to make systems done by "mates" or "some guy" sound better, have more control or sometimes just plain work. Honestly if ypou want more advice and you want to keep the venue owners as friends or as a client for your freelance services then feel free to PM me.

Furryface,

Think you may have missed the point, the OP is just asking for specific SPL legalities on adjusting an existing installation, and not a complete refit.

All advice given has been pertinent, though a chat with the licensee will probably give you any specific levels that need o be appliedto comply with local councils, if no notes, then, as has been said earlier, common sense....

All A weighted

96/98db dance floor

86/92db away from dance floor and tail it off in outer areas gives the chance for punters to get away from the noise, and keep it lower, under 85dba behind the bar, if its quite there, more ikely to have the barstaff sell, and indeed upsell... and not go deaf having to listen to all the awfull boom tiss music djs play

But adjust the levels to suit the clientell, and evenings, maybe put a couple of presets into the soundweb, one for lunch/quiet evenings, and one for djs/live music, however the venue is to be run.

Not replying to original query but the follow up which is a more general one see

Do you run the cabling for it al, or would you get an electrician/other builder to do it?[quote]

This is in regard to a new venue rather than the original query. They maybe related, they may not.

To be honest, I'd recommend they looked at talking to established companies with a track record in this kind of weork. You could probably work closely with such a company and learn a lot at the same time about the process. I'm not discouraging you but such companies usually get a better discount on a wider range of gear, will have Public Liability Insurance (if you installed the speaker and it fell out of the sy and hit someones head, brain damaging them would you want suing?) and probably to back-up to help maintain and install it correctly. I've been involved in loads of installs over the years and, spent loads of time trying to make systems done by "mates" or "some guy" sound better, have more control or sometimes just plain work. Honestly if ypou want more advice and you want to keep the venue owners as friends or as a client for your freelance services then feel free to PM me.

You're definately right. Experience needs to be gained first. I'm trying to run before I can walk. Thanks for everyones advice and it has all been taken on board.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

One of the bars that I work in use QSC RMX amps to run Martin Audio speakers, and another used Yamaha amps to run Tannoys. Are these a 'usual' pairing, or are they pretty much down to whoever installs the system and what they prefer to use?

Archived