100v line

Ollie80

Hi - Just seen a system set up and slightly concerned. 100v line amp going to 10 x JBL Control 1s. The JBL control 1s are not 100v line speakers. They are all daisy chained together. Dont think there is any step down transformer in place.

Could this cause issues??

Been told by the tech at the venue he has no problems with it but we are due to run a live event next month and knowing my luck the speakers might give way :blink: or amp will over heat.

The system will be running speech only. It looks like it has been installed a long time and no problems have been reported. We are testing next week but will let the venue tech turn the amps on!

Your thoughts on this one please... TA!

Ollie

10 8 ohm non-line versions would no doubt be very unpleasnt to the amp - it would see a virtual short circuit, so if the work, the odds are pretty much on them being transformer fitted.

Unless there are a whole bunch of them wired in series. Extremely unlikely I'm sure, but might this be possible?

If memory serves me correctly, it's the Control 1 AT that has a 100V transformer built-in. At first glance it looks the same as a standard control 1 - the transformer tappings can be changed by using a screwdriver to turn a control on the back...

Hi Bruce - yes, I checked out the Control 1 AT on the internet yesterday. When we go back next week I will have a look at the model number and look out for the transformer screw tappings if I can..

Cheers, Ollie

And for that kind of application (speech/background systems) I've seen plenty of standard 8 or 4-ohm speakers (usually Bose 101's or JBL Control 1's of various types) retro-fitted with 100v line transformers. Usually these are placed inside the cabinet - but not always.

My suggestion: If you think you're not happy, you can (usually) bring your own gear just in case!!!

Archived