Sugar Glass

Drew

Can anyone tell me if its possible to get panes of sugar glass (or glass I can shatter on stage). Ideally it'd be pretty cheap, as I'd need to get through a fair few panes. They dont need to be big, perhaps 10cmx 10cm.

My alternative is going to be to use an acetate sheet which is blu tacked into place and can be punched out and hits the floor.

Any advice will be great.

If you don't mind a bit of DIY and it doesn't have to be too perfect it shouldn't be too difficult.

Mix together 3 parts sugar, two parts syrup (preferably clear) and one part water and boil in an old container until thick, then pour out a thin layer onto a flat and slightly damp (to stop it sticking) surface and place in the fridge.

The quantities aren't critical and experimentation will give the best results, if you don't keep it in the fridge it will go horribly sticky and wont hold its shape however you might want to let it warm up a tiny bit before putting it in its frame or whatever as this will make it less brittle.

My most important bit of advice has got to be to experiment as its the only way you can really learn these things and its quite a useful skill in the world of theatre.

Although, as with most places who sell it, they make no gaurantees it will arrive to you in one piece. And obviously it's far cheaper to make it yourself, having never tried it myself though I couldn't say how much of a pain in the backside it might be. :)

Archived