The role of the Chief Electrician

scottbramall

Hi,

I’m currently writing a report on the role of the chief electrician mainly in theatre but also touching on the other areas such as concert lighting etc.

I was wondering if you would be able to answer a few questions as part of my research. If you could also put your name and job title and were you work just so I can compare answers and also so I can reference you correctly in my work.

You can ether email me (scott@scottbramall.co.uk), PM me or respond to this thread with your answers.

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Scott Bramall

-How long before the get-in, do you expect a final plan from the lighting designer?

-If there is one main quality the chief electrician needs to have, what would it be?

-If you work in a repertoire system do you have the same chief for each show? Do you have a manger that oversees it all?

-If you work in a repertoire system (with different lighting designers for each show) do you allow the designers to use whatever lights the venue has to offer then sort out clashes after or do you assign kit per designer?

-How do you try to accommodate lighting designers design?

-Is it common to chief in a venue you’re not familiar with or would you start of as crew and work up?

-In a fringe model – What would you say the role of the lighting manager is (in comparison to the chief electrician?)

-How long before the get-in, do you expect a final plan from the lighting designer? Ha! Before prep starts/show gets in is ideal. But doesn't always happen.

-If there is one main quality the chief electrician needs to have, what would it be? The role of a Chief LX is more about facilitating annd liasing with other HoD's and creatives to acheive the design than actually hanging lamps.

-If you work in a repertoire system do you have the same chief for each show? Do you have a manger that oversees it all? A departmentalised venue will (usually) have a Chief LX, Deputy Chief LX and maybe some Assistant LX. In smaller venues this will be overseen by the Technicial Manager (or Production Manager), in larger venues there are layers of Lighting management that are responsible for day to day operations, strategy, planning etc.

-If you work in a repertoire system (with different lighting designers for each show) do you allow the designers to use whatever lights the venue has to offer then sort out clashes after or do you assign kit per designer? Again, smaller venues will have a stock of equipment that is available for the LD to use. Specific requests may be met with hires if required and if budget allows. This is generally fought out between the Chief LX, Production Manager and Lighting Designer. Larger venues will have larger stocks of generic lanterns, with maybe some moving lights. Some venues (think National Olivier, ROH, Colly) have a huge fixed rig that is supplemented with other equipment as required.

-How do you try to accommodate lighting designers design? As closely as possible with in the constraints of time, resources and money. Any changes must be discussed but most LD's are happy to take advice from a venue regarding thornier issues.

-Is it common to chief in a venue you're not familiar with or would you start of as crew and work up? When Production/Touring staff become involved, the venue staff are there to help facilitate the implementation of the design. The major responsibility then lies with Production/Touring staff to (re)create the LD's vision. Starting as crew and working up is just one way of advancing through the ranks. The most important skill that venue staff can learn and then practice is knowing their buildings inside and out so that seemingly impossible request can be met.

-In a fringe model – What would you say the role of the lighting manager is (in comparison to the chief electrician?) Pass. Haven't come across that model.

Jonathan Hill - Freelance Production Electrician, about 20 years experience.

as I have just under taken this role for uni, I found there is a grate detail of information on it. also it is classified as a resource of information and research by asking people with in industry so don't make it harder for him. I found out the hard way that there needs to have a complete stock list (which my uni did not have) any other question feel free to pm me as I did lucky enough find quite a bit of info from people in industry.

Hi Scott,

As an ex - chief LX (having now moved away from theatre -and gone into LD corporate) I can helpfully say, that the biggest "plus point" of an effective chief LX is communication and time management.

You dont need to be worried about playing with lights and getting them rigged etc etc because normally, the dep LX will be handling the day-to-day running of the team and "practical stuff".

The chief LX role, in rep theatre in particualar is to liase and communicate with the other depts and close working with the PM and creative team. He / she will instigate the resourcing and making of practicals / hiring / scheduling / sometimes crew calls.

In the two years I was working as a chief LX - even though I still got stuck in and loved to help on the rigging of shows (particually if I was LD) , I actually came to realise that I would never need to even touch a lantern again. The work is so administative based , along with designing shows (if ur in-house LD as well for rep season) that you will easily find all of your time stuck behind a computer or attending meetings etc etc.

Id like to point out , that this was MY experience of working in a rep theatre - and that of course the job description was slightly different in other applications - ie smaller team, etc etc

While the bigger venues like NT , RAH etc all have a large team of people within a department (the NT even has a "lighting control supervisor" job!!!!- among the more usual roles) I still love and enjoy the smaller venues where the entire tech team may consist of just a manager and dep, having to do everything - with local cazzies brought in on some jobs

Archived