Music TEch

nb543

Hi Guys,

I have to give about a 10 minute speech on 'the role of the studio in music technology', anyone have any ideas about it?

So far I have talked about synthetically creating sounds, there is a controlled environment and being able to isolate instruments,

So any ideas would be most appreciated

Thanks

Nick

I'm afraid if you spend some time looking on here, you will find that we wont do your homework for you.

If you had asked for say, recommendations for research tools say, we might have helped.

I will recommend a research tool however, its called Google.

Josh

Left it a bit late, have we?

Plenty to talk about

Synthesis

Sampling

Hardware recording

Software recording

video and external synchronisation

Software instruments

We can't suggest anymore than broad outlines as you haven't set the context of the presentation - I assume you're not simply giving a speech.

Also - have you considered the level of the audience. Are they Music Technology savvy, and if so, how technical vs musical.

Perhaps then software features and benefits, and if you are brave, delve into the subject of software assistance such as band-in-a-box style software vs software that requires musical skill to operate.

Then how about performer assistance tools - for tuning, harmony and harmonic enhancement, and probably comping.

Can we share the qualification now we're doing the work for you as you can't be bothered to do it yourself.

I'm not certain that we're even the right forum to give help on music technology - as most of us do it in support of something else.

Welcome to the BR, but you'll find that we are a community of pretty like minded souls, and homework requests don't sit too well with us. Especially as many could well be the people who set work like this as their job, and it's always awkward when a uni student pops up to ask a question that somebody else on here actually gave to the students to do themselves.

Very often, the response is that they are just doing the research. Our answer is that if you tell us what you think, we'll tell you if we think you are on solid ground.

Best of luck.

Paul

Just so you know, Paulears has had some (not sure how much) say into a couple of the courses out there at the moment. I am currently starting(early) a BTEC Level 3 course in Music Technology.

I may come on here for some help if I'm really stuck, but not before a lot of Googleing and (dare I say it?) Going to the large public library in Plymouth and looking for books on the subject. If after all of that, I was still stuck, I would then post on here saying I had Googled "x,y&z" and looked as book "x,y&z" I would then say I had found "x,y&z" but I still need "x,y&z" to do "x,y&z".

I would then and only then post a new topic.

Josh

Studio as in Rack room for synths etc, or studio as in space of controlled acoustic for the capture of sound from instruments and artistes.

Like I often say here: you do not know your tutor/moderator/examiner's tag names on here, they may well be watching you. Read a LOT, learn a lot, then write from your understanding.

Academia has ways of noting copy n paste homework.

I have to give about a 10 minute speech on 'the role of the studio in music technology', anyone have any ideas about it?
Plenty to talk about

Synthesis

Sampling

Hardware recording

Software recording

video and external synchronisation

Software instruments

Are any of these things to do with "the role" of a studio? :) It could be a "how does it fit in?" sort of question.

Hi Guys,

So far I have talked about synthetically creating sounds, there is a controlled environment and being able to isolate instruments,

So any ideas would be most appreciated

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

Well as you are aware The Studio is a totally artificial environment.You are trying to capture the best performance of a band or artiste's life in this unnatural environment which will stay with them for the rest of their lives. So in order to make this process easier for everyone the key is REHEARSAL. i.e. everyone knows exactly what they are playing and how they are going to play the arrangement before they go anywhere near the studio.The more confident the playing the better the recording.However good an engineer you are, fixing it at the Mix stage is no comparison to a well rehearsed band putting in the performance of their lives in the studio. I used to say- Think of this recording as a Photograph it is a moment in time and this is where you are at, at this moment !! Playing in the studio using headphones for Foldback can be daunting and not very pleasurable ( especially for Bass guitarists ) if you are not used to it. This is a major point to be stressed in my opinion. I could go on forever Nick but I hope these pointers prove to be useful in your speech!! Good luck JOCKTATTIE

I love Jocks answer there.

I would also add from my own experience that the studio is a safe place to experiment and learn. Yes the band/singer/autotuner that you are helping record wants a finished piece, but I also take some of my own time to try out new things and spend time learning what makes a good sound etc.

Im sure I could put that better but my head isnt working that well at the moment! :blink:

Steve

This is a common question - and loads of schools and colleges who do Music Technology pose this very question (mainly because it's on the list of things to do) - and it's usually bent around the idea that nowadays the old fully equipped, big budget studios are vanishing and being replaced by small concept/project studios. So, as all the students are using this style kit, they need to know the history, so considering the role of the studio is a pretty important area of study. It's simply designed to see if they can contrast/compare/critically analyse kit and resources, based on what they will offer in features and benefits. You'd be amazed how many times people think that it's vital to have a full size recording studio to produce professional work, when what is really important is that the room suits what is being recorded in it. Plenty of big selling music never saw a big studio, and much never existed outside of the computer it was recorded on, but so far, a bunch of musicians in an acoustically 'nice' room still take some beating (for the moment).

Archived