aidso

Supply  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Supply

• 32A Single Phase
    • 63A Single Phase
    • 32A Three Phase
    • 63A Three Phase

Ok so I have just got a whole load of dimmers. Old pulsar ones that are 6X10amp. They currently have 32A Single Phase on them. Im not a fan of 32A Single phase for dimmers. I would normaly have them with either 63A single phase or 32A Three phase. Perferbly 32A Three. Just wanting to know what you all thought.

Depends what you are running and what you are running it off.

Obviously the more power you use the bigger supply you will need. I have some of these pulsar dimmers and they are on 32 single phase for a reason, which is they all plug into single phases of a 3 phase distro. Im guessing they are racked up in groups of 3 with some sort of decoder? I assume you are running off permanent mains and not a generator set?

Should have said they are going into a 24way rack with demux and a 18way rack with demux. Its going to be a rental and touring rig so you never know what you will have on them. Sometime you will have 1 650w source4 others 2x1.2k floods. you just never know.

I would stick 63/3s on the racks, and carry a jumper from 63/1 to 63/3 (all three outgoing poles tied to the single input live), this will be OK for dimmers as long as the neutral is rated for the full single phase current.

A 32/1 to 63/1 and 32/3 -> 63/3 jumper would complete the kit.

Obviously you break the 63/3 down inside the rack in whatever way makes the most sense .3 times 63/1 would probably be my choice as if you go for 32/3 internally you will have to over size the neutral to allow single phase operation (Which either means hard wired or using 63A/3 connectors when the maximum current in three phase operation is only 20A per phase (say 30A neutral)).

With this setup you can get full benefit from 32 or 63A single or three phase.

It will be interesting to see how others would play this one.

Regards, Dan.

I agree with Dan. This is exactly how I run my racks. 3x Pulsar 6x10 w/demux, also including DMX splitter and some hard power outlets. 1x 63/3 in with internal distribution via 63A terminal block. For rental I would try to keep it to just 18ch making the phase distribution even.

Just be VERY sure you don't cross phases
On not this again :). Not wishing to sound too rude, but please, get with the times. Phase separation went out the window years ago!

For rental I would try to keep it to just 18ch making the phase distribution even
If your wanting to run them internally off 3x single phase's thats fine.. But another idea for thought, specially for your 24way rack. Give each 6way a 32a/3 feed.. Fed off 63a/3 in. Means you can have any numbers of racks you like and don't have to be multiples of 3.. I.e 3 or 6 or perhaps 12 (if you had a large enough incoming supply connector).

Its the way most large touring racks are wired up.. i.e. Avo Art's & ETC Smartfade racks. Yes the old FD series had each rack on single phase and had 2x racks on each phase, but they were from times when phase separation was all the rage.

Personally (with my kit), individual 6way racks are on 63a/1 for ease of use.. Anything else, i.e. 12way, 24way and 48way racks are wired with a 3phase incoming supply with 3phase feeds to each rack/module.

T

Archived