Mac Book Boot Camp / Versus Parralles

bjkered

Interested in Mac Book Users experience on Parralles versus Boot camp. I am Specifically interested to find out experiences on using either of these packages to link to DMX Dongles Especially the Sunlite and Chamsys Dongles.

I have read a few experiences of people having problems connecting Dongells to Mac Books and I am looking to see peoples experiences to aid me in decieding which to use. I am going to be Buying a MAC book ( lots of other reasons so no suggestions on sticking to Windows based PC's)

I know Chamsys support Mac books directly but I have been frustrated in the past with getting the X11 stuff to work directly ( given up for the time being )

Thanks in Advance

It is generally thought that you do suffer a slight performance loss in parallels. I use it for audio editing (in coherence mode) as well as smaller applications, although I am running sound for a show tomorrow, completely within the virtual machine.

If you are running lighting I would recommend boot camp as running lights requires a lot more from the computer than just executing a file on the press of space!

Which macbook are you going to be buying and will it be one of the pro ones?

It is generally thought that you do suffer a slight performance loss in parallels. I use it for audio editing (in coherence mode) as well as smaller applications, although I am running sound for a show tomorrow, completely within the virtual machine.

If you are running lighting I would recommend boot camp as running lights requires a lot more from the computer than just executing a file on the press of space!

Which macbook are you going to be buying and will it be one of the pro ones?

Thanks I was Planing on the New MACbook (not the Pro) Thanks for the comment on Bootcamp I was heading that way as I think it will support the USB Drivers for the dongles which is what I am worried about and looking for feedback on

I don't know about your DMX dongles in paticular, but I can't recomend Parallels for anything processor intensive, simply because running two operating systems is clearly going to limit processor availability. Furthermore many USB devices don't function correctly with the way Parallels handles passing the USB port.

T

I've just run a show under parallels - the one I was talking about earlier - and the macbook handled fine. Just! Although at one point both the mac and the laptop I was running lights from froze at the same time, well mine just suddenly stopped outputting DMX and the mac hung for a couple of seconds. Must have been a spike or something.

But yeah, I would say go for bootcamp and Windows XP Pro.

Im going to echo the others!!

I found parallels struggled with anything labour intensive...managed to ge the blues creen of death a few times which made me laugh!!I tried running Adobe Audition off it and it crashed a lot of the time, so not sure if I would be willing to use it on a show.

Boot camp on the other hand worked quite well and apart from a few minor issues (that were ironed out). USB drivers worked more successfully with Boot Camp as well, only ever tried with an external harddrive in Parallels.

Archived