Rescue Plans

Riddle

Fainting isn't a bad thing... ...I am not disagreeing with you.

I was just joshing there - you suggested 'putting them out of their misery', I was merely saying it would prolly not be the worst possible way to go.

However how do we know from case to case if our casualty is one of those that can last an hour or one that will deteriorate quickly? We can't exactly wait to find out (rescue plan aside).

Indeed there is no time for waiting around, it is important to move quickly and I'm not suggesting otherwise. Its just that its even more important that the rescuer doesn't become a second casualty.

As you say self help is possible, riding an invisible bike for example...

Mid-air bicycling is obviously a non-starter, but Chris Higgs has mentioned research in other threads that suggests toe-waggling may be effective.

Its a little late for self-help though, to be honest - that would be better before the helpless dangle. For example by not using a longer lanyard that necessary, by not using the dorsal attachment point, and by being familiar with a few simple self-rescue techniques. (No doubt the OP would be happy to offer training in such techniques, for a modest fee.)

Oh, and lampies - carry a drop line (15m or so of 4 or 5mm cord will fit easily into a smallish chalkbag and reach the floor from any truss you're likely to be working on). Its not just handy if you get into bother, you can also use it to fetch up the spanner you've forgotten, a spare lamp, a bit of TRS, whatever.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

To play devils advocate a little

That's not Devil's advocate, its irrelevant advocate. There is some truth in what you say, but this thread is about rescue plans (kinda) and if the casualty hits the floor (with or without bits of broken truss) the rescue plan is moot.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in a venue I have been to, but not worked in, they had a rescue plan for someone falling in the grid / fly floors and breaking a leg or something...

the fire crew / ambulance crew refuse to go up to the fly floor apparently, so the plan is drag em to the roof and say they slipped up there...

You are exactly right in that the equipment suited to this scenario is what we sell, however I dont want this thread to get removed because I am try to sell my products.

Taping open the scaff hook if you have one is a good idea, but then you need to consider how to reach said casualty, unweight the lanyard that has been depolyed and lower to the ground. All to be carried out in the safest way possible, probably by the second Truss man. However it would be better to have a "kit" on site and ready to go rather than cobble something together, but along side the kit is the overall plan that is site specific. To ensure the plan is effective there has to be trained and competent personnnel on site.

As Seano says the rescue plan cannot be fixed, the goal posts must move and the those likely to be involved with the rescue have to be equally flexible. No point in getting the rescue kit out if the casualty is within safe easy reach of the ground or if you have a MEWP within reach.

The toe wiggling thing is a great idea this can be done by the casualty, even with a broken leg so they say!!! Getting the casualty to do anything whilst waiting for rescue is going to be a huge benefit. It focuses the mind of the casualty and reduces the onset of shock.

999 would be part of the plan, although some medics may not have a head for heights, in which case you may have to think about a higher level of first aid training. Whilst the first is being carried out the rescue team can be setting up the system to lift or lower the casualty to a waiting paramedic.

I would like to point out that this thread has been of use to me.

1 It has got me thinking about rescue in that very situation

2 My heart rate is up just thinking about the concequences of not having a rescue plan in place.

I am thinking back to the time I sat watching the climbing instructors rescue train at Centre parks where one would come half way down the rope and stop. The other would have to come down and attach onto the rescuee. Then using an ascension device, take the load off the rescuees descender and remove it allowing both to descend safely to the ground.

What the frig is wrong with a discussion which is relative to rigging and safety on a web based forum. some of you need to get your heads out of your A***s

What the frig is wrong with a discussion which is relative to rigging and safety on a web based forum. some of you need to get your heads out of your A***s

Nothing. Hence why it is happening here. I think there was some mild irritation in how it was started, but it has raised some very valid points, and made me think about rescue plans for the times that we may have to implement them.

Seano's point that all but the most basic skills leave you under stress is true. Part of the professional Scuba training I undertook included several rescue diver 'incidents'. Sitting dressed in to the gear, all but the full face mask on gets the blood pumping, even though you know it's only a simulated event. It is true- first time your in, you just about remember to breathe, the second time you remember that bit more and so on.

I think the best way to do is not to need one. Plan the work so it can either be done from the ground, or use access systems that don't require fall arrest. But I fully understand that this isn't anywhere near possible in a large number of circumstances.

Archived