av switching

tony

Any advice on the best kit to switch between two laptops sending a signal to a video projector so that the projector doesn't go to either blank or blue screen during the switch

cheers tony

Very easy to do just will cost between £3-400 per day to hire the equipment. You need either.

Analog Way Graphic Switcher I or II

Extron 408

Folsom Screenpro

Most AV or video hire companies will stock them.

Reasons for two sources?

redundant backup

ease of switching between presentations

(in an evrinoment other than the one mentioned ) the need to move sources across various different screens

The list is endless (ish)

In answer to the original question the analog way kit is nice though not too cheap but does the job well.

some good points mike, I wasnt trying to suggest that you should not or can not switch between to sources I just thought that as they are both computer sources you might be able to combine them somehow and save yourself some money and possibly some effort trying to obtain a switcher...

Surely :D I realise you werent suggesting anything of the sort.

Just worth pointing out that there are a myriad of reason swhy you may want to do that sort of thing.

Even when it is possible to combine material all onto one source personally id rather still have multiple sources and switchers.

if only for the backup.

BSOD on a 12 foot wide screen anyone ? eek :D

as listed above having two laptops is better for backup as well as last minute changes by client not to mention the presenter who comes with an updated presentation just before going on stage

dont you just love conferences

tony

BSOD on a 12 foot wide screen anyone ? eek :D

Use a Mac :D :D (Power Point on the Mac is very nice!) I'd far rather use a Mac for anything that you need to rely on the machine to do what you want. That Said XP is better than the previous tosh that M$ put out. Still a bad copy of OSX though........

Where abouts are you based? Someone on here may be able to point you in the direction of a local hire company to hire the kit from. My best man works for an AV company in the Reading area........

Unfortunately not. The main reason you get blue screen/blank during a switch is that the projector loses the sync and reverts back to its standby state (ie what happens when you switch on the projector with no source connected). When the new source is connect, its the takes the projector a short while the read the new sync signal and get the image on screen.

The only way to avoid this is to use a switcher that does not rely on it's sources (in this case, laptops) to generate the sync signal. Switchers such as the Graphic Switcher/Extron 408 output a constant sync to the projector which is internally generated which is never interrupted thus no blue/black screen.

In the same way, video/camera systems use one of the system components or a black burst generator or to provide all parts in the system with a constant reference.

well if you could get hold of a KVM switcher the obvious thing that springs to mind at the moment is, try it, although in theory it will go black, how long for is something that will depend on the projector, some adjust VERY quickly, long story short, try it (if you can of course!)

depends on the projector. at a conf I did we just used a KVM manual switch box and for the second or 2 that the switch over was taking place the projector cut to black. look in the menu for an option saying "video mute" and set it to "black". YMMV.

David

at the end of the day, your going to get what you pay for, if you absolutely need seamless then thats going to cost you more than the compramise of a second of black would, but thats life.

did anyone here to go to BBC Radio 1's One Big Sunday in leicester, (we're probs going back to 2003), I think it was a generator problem but they had two, shall we call them, unexpected blackouts, not to mention the silence :** laughs out loud **: :P

Archived