Wireless mic!

STU007280

Any ideas to solve my problem would be great!

At my old school they invite me back to do lighting/sound for larger productions for the music department and talent shows.

We have 6 wireless sets

4 handheld and 2 tie-clip.

During the Christmas Concert there was a choir singing and 2 solo's in it.

When one of the solos finished she switched off her mic and then suddenly there was a really bad feedback like noise.

I tried changing the transmitter and reciever frequencies to one of the other sets and we still had the problem..

The make of it is Sennheiser EW135 G2

Cheers.

J

Did the offending receiver 'mute' when the transmitter was switched off?

If it is a G2 system, was the pilot tone enabled?

Have you made sure that the frequencies in use are intermodulation free?

Would it not be better to prevent the singers from turning the mics on/off, and control them from the mixer?

Simon

This is a squelch setting issue. Nothing to do with the topic Tolley links to but I can see why he may have linked the 2. Adjust the squelch accordingly on the receivers.

What Simon says is also equally important. Pilot Tones on if they are the G2's. Use Sennheisers chart or the necessary software to get 6 intermod free channels WITHIN THE FREQUENCY RANGE YOU HAVE A LICENSE FOR.

You do have a license don't you?

license??? ** laughs out loud **

As rob said I would put my money on a squelch issue. Not sure about intermod cause that would usually happen when the mic is turned on unless you are using a wireless show relay or in ears where the signal may bleed back into the offending receiver?? check your squelch. If the receiver is onstage then put it to max 15db if I remember rightly.

Cheers for all the feedback, ive tried all of that plus more so we are sending them away to be repaired.

Yeh I did tell them NOT to turn off the mics just to mute them, but they are school kids they never listen!

even more annoying for me as I only turned up for the event to do lighting, and then I got told I was doing sound!

Thanks again

J

Cheers for all the feedback, ive tried all of that plus more so we are sending them away to be repaired.

Yeh I did tell them NOT to turn off the mics just to mute them, but they are school kids they never listen!

even more annoying for me as I only turned up for the event to do lighting, and then I got told I was doing sound!

Thanks again

J

They should not be touching them at all - tape over the switches!

This is a squelch setting issue. Nothing to do with the topic Tolley links to but I can see why he may have linked the 2. Adjust the squelch accordingly on the receivers.

Agreed.

The mrs has one similar (G1) which required the squelch to be adjusted.

I found that out on a gig when she switched it off there was a massive rf type buzz/hiss and it almost gave one old dear

a heart attack.. oops. :)

I must admit I'm certainly not convinced they're faulty, but you'll get good customer support from them so I hope all goes well. Do remember to let us all know how they get on.

Will do.

Although wont find out till June, thats when im next doing a show for them!

license??? ** laughs out loud **

As rob said I would put my money on a squelch issue. Not sure about intermod cause that would usually happen when the mic is turned on unless you are using a wireless show relay or in ears where the signal may bleed back into the offending receiver?? check your squelch. If the receiver is onstage then put it to max 15db if I remember rightly.

If other transmissions are producing an intermod product on the frequencfy of the offending receiver then it is precisely when the matching transmitter is turned off that the problem is most likely to become apparent. In an FM system 'capture effect' will ensure that the strongest signal wins, in this case the signal from the wanted mic. Once that is gone then the intermod product or other interference source has a clear run....

How many radio mics were in use in total?

Squelch on G2 only has three settings, High, Medium, Low or four if you count 'Off' (press and hold the down button from Low). On "G1" the squelch settings were given in dB's.

And why should the idea of someone actually having a Wireless Telegraphy Act licence be a source of mirth BTW?

Hi all,

I am new to this site, but offer two way radio and wireless microphone repairs. I am in full time employment and do repairs in my fully equipped home workshop in the evenings and over weekends. Hoping to go full time from home in six months or so. I have 30 years experience in the radio repair field.

• 4 weeks later...
We had the same problem, it was down to a receiver not 'diversifying' between signals, so it would not mute. the receiver will only mute when it receives nothing from either aerial A or B, we sent ours away and they were fixed no problem, didn't cost a shocking amount either.

Archived