production cases?

alex_kyuss

Alex,

There are some chinese made ones around as well Dap/Showtec do a 4 drawer 16u on wheels with a front door that becomes a table and the top lifts up to reveal a tray you put whatever in IIRC they're not a lot of cash at all. Caveat I have 0 idea how long they would last I've also seen a few on ebay and there's one for sale in the crewspace classifieds if your a member. You could also try Adlib in Liverpool they make excellent cases and aren't the most expensive.

Charlie

Flightcase warehouse do some that seem pretty goo - under the toolboxes heading. Certainly less than your £800!

I seem to recall that studiospares have just added one to their catalogue as well. At the minute, I'm just using heavy duty stacking boxes- Eurobox type with the lids that hinge up and lock together like teeth. Liftable by one person, stackable and when you fill one, you buy another for tens of pounds, not hundreds.

At the minute, I'm just using heavy duty stacking boxes- Eurobox type with the lids that hinge up and lock together like teeth.

We too have started to use these - add a dolly to the bottom and they're good for pretty much anything.

Gareth.

hi all cheers, I think im going to have a word with some of the rental companies. Secondly im afraid I have to agree with Charli its going to be thrown in and out of trucks on tour so it needs to be pro or its just going to be a waste of money. if anyone has any other leads please cheers

Ok by all means use plastic boxes for your stuff. However, they don't look very professional, aren't likely to live through a tour with local crews loading/unloading the truck in other words a very amateur solution not at all professional.

Horses for courses... Whilst you're right, these kind of boxes won't survive a rock'n'roll tour, they can be a good solution for less rigorous situations. A friend of mine has some which have lasted over ten years doing smaller hires and theatrical shows. I was very pleased to be able to pick up a pile from my local branch of Woolies before they closed down!

Yep, mine all came from a well known highstreet clothing retailer.

They aren't truck fodder, but it depends on the application. Professional? Well I know of at least one professional engineer who uses them, and they belonged to the BBC in a previous life.....

But yes I agree, if this is going to be thrown into a truck with the rest of the gear and be included in the get in/get out, then it needs to be a proper flightcase. If the OP is a freelancer coming to a venue with their kit then perhaps the ability to load/unload on your own would be useful though. The professional tour cases are bl**dy heavy.

I also wonder how quickly a flightcase type box full of all your important tools and kit would be placed in the middle of a stack of moving head or speaker flightcases where you can't get to it. At the very least it needs making obvious that this box is not "just another flightcase".

Im not to bothered about weight, because it'll be thrown in a van with a ramp! secondly, it won't be getting to lost in the pack as I generally call the pack and tool box's go on the back. I've been looking at http://www.satsol.co.uk/impact/ProductDeta...x?itemno=J02038 I can get one for £160 + vat.

Its not like im touring round the world 6 months a year so It don't need to be unbreakable. has anyone used these cases before?

Ok by all means use plastic boxes for your stuff. However, they don't look very professional, aren't likely to live through a tour with local crews loading/unloading the truck in other words a very amateur solution not at all professional.

I don't think they're talking about the boxes you see in the high street or DIY sheds. More likely to be something like

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...t&R=0515798 - while they're not of flightcase standard, they're certainly not flimsy, and don't look particularly "amateur".

http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/R515776-01.jpg

I have also acquired some similar ones, that have BT logos on them, which seem even more robust. Close the lid and it makes a pretty good step :blink:

Bruce they may not say amateur to you but to the rest of the world they positively scream it,

I must tell the BBC guys that next time they're in :blink:

I woundn't tour them, but they're not just ordinary "plastic boxes"...

Of course it wasn't anything delicate. That would be stupid. But for cables etc, even tools, it's perfectly appropriate in many situations.

Some people can get hung up on the "professionalness" and necessity of flightcasing everything. There's more to the industry than touring! To give an extreme example, I recently hired some equipment. It arrived in 12 flight cases. We opened 9 and built the system up.

Flightcase 10 contained 4 IEC cables.

Flightcase 11 contained a screwdriver, a spanner, and a bag of cable ties

Flightcase 12 contained a manual and an inventory.

I think I was supposed to think "wow - what a professional supplier - everything flightcased". What I actually thought was "I've just paid a courier to transport 3 cases that were completely unnecessary".

Archived