Tonmeister Course

I'm at surrey at the moment. I have plenty of friends on the course, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. If you want to become a recording engineer (and a very good and thorough one) this is the course for you. The comment from my fellow peers is that the course has little application to live sound engineer (they teach the theory as such but don't apply it like they do for recording). I'm on the (new) audio media engineering course, more aimed at theory and 'what's inside the black box' of audio systems. we share some modules with them too, including computer audio systems, sound synthesis, digital signal processing, and audio engineering (things like DAC ADCs etc).

Also, at surrey is a very active stage crew, join that and you'll have the opportunity to do many gigs in different roles, in a relatively 'safe' environment: you can't get sacked!

hope this helps, feel free to PM for more info.

Simon

I graduated from Tonmeister in 2004.

Lots of really good audio theory, and a fair bit of practical studio work. A good opportunity to develop skills for using in a studio.

As simon says, there isn't really anything practical to do with live engineering, but the theory is all useful info to have. To gain practical experience of live engineering, and other live things, I did (and still do) things for Stage Crew (ill always argue that things I learnt from doing gigs were much more useful in getting jobs than my degree, in terms of general work-based skills, teamwork, dealing with crisis and stress etc.).

Enjoyed my time there, was hard work at times, but glad I did it. But dont think that doing the course will guarantee you the dream job recording top names in a top studio as soon as you graduate, it doesn't quite work like that.

I am aware that the audio media course picks up some of the tonmeister modules, and offers a different mix of things.

Good luck, and feel free to PM for more info from a graduates perspective. A good way to find out more is to go along to an open day, this will give you a real idea of how it might be, and what you will need to do to get onto the course.

Well....late to the party again due to time zones.

Anyway, I have a friend who did the Tonmeister course and says it is excellent for theory and studio recordings but offers no live sound practical. My mate wanted to do live (goodness knows why) and ended up starting "in the warehouse" as usual despite the qualification. However, he quickly made it behind the mixing desk and has carved out a good career since...and says the theory is often useful. He's certainly one of the strongest people I know on the theory side.

A lad I know slightly (boyfriend of a friend's daughter if that's not too complicated) is currently in his second year of the course and still speaks highly of it so, unlike some courses I've heard of, they're obviously keeping the standards up.

Bob

My brother graduated from there a few years back & has not looked back since. Again to re-iterate it is mostly studio not live sound. They have a good track record of year out studio placements but may be less now with the down turn & studio closures etc.

Back when he was there I know there was a limited number of places so keep up the study on the A-levels & get as much experience you can to be able to prove they should take you & not the loads of others you may be up against.

Good luck.

Andi

Thanks everyone

At the mo Im not sure if Im going live or studio. Im considering broadcast mixing too. Im really into music as well - and Im doing the appropriate A Levels to get in. Ill go and have a look round soon and keep you all posted!

Many thanks for all your support and "soundie" I might well be in touch :blink:

best wishes

Oli

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Cards on the table: I'm a lecturer at the University of Surrey. Of course, I may be biased, but I believe the Tonmeister Programme to be the best in the world. Yes, the entry requirements are high but the combination of excellent staff, industry lecturers, facilities, placement year and so on make it substantially more rigorous than all the other so called Music Tech degrees. You will come out of it academically strong, technically proficient and (this is the most important thing for me) highly musical.

By the way, the CMT course that was mentioned above (CMT = Creative Music Technology) is NOT a sound recording course. It's for creative practitioners who want to use music to create and make music, not record it. It's not surprising that the previous poster may not have found it pressed his/her buttons but, if you want to be a sound recording engineer, consider the Tonmeister programme. If you want to be a composer, consider the CMT course.

Hope that helps!

Best of luck to you all!

Pete Morris

Programme Director

Music and Sound Recording

University of Surrey

• 1 year later...
Hello everyone. I know this is OLLDDD but I just found this because I randomly decided to go on blueroom at 2am! Just to say I got in ;) Which is nice! Wasn't easy but I'm really looking forward to it, so thank you for all your help. Those of you that work here I am sure I will see you around.

Archived