FX Rack Cabling

fatfrog

Depending on your budget VDC trading and Kelsey(part of Fuzion now) both do custom build panels and cables to very high spec but they ain't cheap. FWIW stay well away from EDACs they aren't the most robust of multipin connectors or the easiest to fix when they go wrong.

Charlie

I did something similar to this the other day. I bought a pre-cut thomann blank and a bunch of chassis sockets, then hard wired the lot with patch cable. as Bobbsy often says, it's a theraputic exercise, but that might just be the fumes coming off the flux :** laughs out loud **:

I'm useless at soldering so that's kinda not an option, I usually get someone else to make up all my cabling as I've got poor enough eyesight in one eye so it's rather difficult for me.

Suppose I could use crimp versions of the connectors instead.

Are they just as good?

Alan

Suppose I could use crimp versions of the connectors instead.

Most would say that crimping is far superior to solder contacts. However, it's a precision job, and if you have problems soldering then achieving properly made crimps might be problematic too.

Have a word about a custom panel with one of the firms mentioned so far. My choice would be VDC. An alternative (and arguably better approach to using patch panels) would be a rack mounted XLR or jack connector plate (in the back of the FX rack) with a multipin. The multipin tails could have 3 pole jacks for inserts and XLRs for input/outputs. The FX rack can plug the various devices straight into the rack panel.

I know that switched jack sockets are commonly used in the studio, but they can also be a source of trouble!

Simon

The Behringer Ultrapatch PX2000 is a really good option for you as it needs no soldering, it has 1/4" jack sockets on the front & rear so all connects are made with jack plugs! Also each patch channel is configurable via slide switches to be mormalled or straight through, nothing could be easier!!

The Behringer Ultrapatch PX2000 is

a) Unbalanced

b) Discontinued

Look at the PX1000 or PX3000 instead.

We did have several of these in our studios here & they were fine if used as intended. The problem was that students (& staff?) who didn't quite understand the patching system we used (and obviously couldn't read the large notice on the wall explaining it ;)) , would regularly move leads on the back of the pannel around, resulting in complete confusion for the next user of the studio. :** laughs out loud **:

Anyway, that's my rant & probably not applicable to the OP.

Archived