Outdoor Flood Lights

adamski1010

Hey

Just a quick query for you all.

In the next couple of weeks I'm providing PA and LX for a private party. The client contacted me today and asked if it would be possible to uplight the exterior of the venue. Seeing as this is Febuary and wet weather is frequent I dont fancy putting unprotected LED Pars (or any other fixtures for that matter) outside. I was wondering what others have done in this situation. I was thinking of getting a couple of outdoor halogen flood lights (500w, IP44 rated) and sticking standard gels on them, any opinions on this idea?

Thanks for Your Time

Adam

I was thinking of getting a couple of outdoor halogen flood lights (500w, IP44 rated) and sticking standard gels on them, any opinions on this idea?

I would probably use IP65 units for outside work. But colouring floods is a good idea. If you are buying for stock, it may be worth considering 150W HQI floods as you can buy variously coloured lamps for these units (orange, magenta, green, blue and white).

I second Josh's remarks over melted gel, it is a nightmare to get off.

You could use some form of discharge flood, we use Caribonis for our exterior stuff and they can come with Blue, Green, Magenta, White or Sodium lamps (there maybe more colours available).

If your wanting control over colour etc and budget is not an issue you could always use something like a City Colour.

Edit: Beaten by Jonathan

If your wanting control over colour etc and budget is not an issue you could always use something like a City Colour.

Seeing as they are a Private Party perhaps they can afford it?

Plus you have the insurance that city colours are marketed as FULLY weatherproof. They are ideal for the purpose of uplighing a structure or building with its 2500 HMI Lamp, CMY colour mixing and design. But if you dont have the budget / space and seeing as you were going to use LED Par's anyway.. I understand that City Colour do a "mini" version called MiniCity. Same deal, but small.

It depends on the size of the venue rearlly :huh:

Plus you could sell it that you could have a cool effect such as a rainbow colour mix going on outside as opposed to static blocks of colour. Making it more appealing and more slick.

Hi

Thanks for the ideas guys. I already have a number of 500w floods with 16a plugs kicking about the warehouse somewhere so I'll dig them out, gel em and see what happens. The City Colour idea is cool and is definitely something I'd like to look into for future events.

Thanks again

Adam

Archived