Cheap Two Way Radio's?

Not sure if this is in the right area but here goes...

Does anyone know where I can purchase about 3/4 two way radios? I currently have 4 Uniden Radio's but was looking at Kenwood TK3101 after using it before and it seems to be a good model but at £109 each, there a bit expensive!

Any ideas?

Thanks if someone replies

Define Cheap?

XTN446's are always coming up on Ebay for good prices. Licence free and pretty much every accessory you could ever want.

Even XTNi's and XTNid's are coming up, and they're the newest version.

Also check CPC, they sometimes have offers on them.

On the cheap but good end of the spectrum, whatever the BT Freeway Pro's are now called are actually quite well built. Finding headsets for this is tricky but they do exist. The only trouble I have ever had with the ones I have (and I have a few due to many group holidays to Devon.. ) is a little dunk in the sea during hurricane Gordon a few years back.

I have Motorola's version too (same chip inside, slightly different body) and its very much the same story. About £60 a pair with charger.

Was looking for around £100 for 3 or 4. Was really impressed with the Kenwood's when I used them but £100 each was a bit much.

Not wanting any cheap Lidl stuff either :** laughs out loud **:

http://gigamarket.1001tours.org/images/sie...den_PMR_845.JPG < That's the ones I currently have, they are good but was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative to the Kenwood's?

Basically just used for keeping in contact at events and such like.

Was looking for around £100 for 3 or 4. Was really impressed with the Kenwood's when I used them but £100 each was a bit much.

So what you're saying is you want a £100 radio or equivalent for £25.

Of course the Kenwoods are superior quality, they cost 4 time the price. You can't get something for nothing.

So what you're saying is you want a £100 radio or equivalent for £25.

Of course the Kenwoods are superior quality, they cost 4 time the price. You can't get something for nothing.

Yeah pretty much....

You can buy on eBay plenty of small two way radios on ebay from china or Taiwan. You'll get four for £100. They are actually quite good, the only snag is that they aren't licensable, unless you're a radio ham and have the right piece of paper. They do cover from 430 to about 470MHz, tend to have 3 or 4 watts output, useful programming features and come with chargers.

things like this - then negotiate a bulk postage price

UHF handheld

http://horilchan.com/cici/I0vm3e.JPG

the only snag is that they aren't licensable, unless you're a radio ham and have the right piece of paper

...not forgetting that everyone else would need to be licensed, too, and even at the most basic end of the scale that would mean everybody doing a one-day course at their local amateur radio club or similar. And also that there are restrictions on what you can and can't do with the sets, so commercial use is out. I'm not sure how amdram would fall within that, but I've a feeling that if you're selling tickets for it, then it may also be prohibited.

It's been a while since I did any serious ham radio, but I advise against using these. If you were to clog up their local repeater frequency a bunch of angry boffins would track you down pretty quickly, and hand you over to Ofcom. Who, if you were usung these for commercial purposes, would comprehensively throw the book at you.

And as has been pointed out, ham radio licences only cover hobby use; the ban on using them for work is quite well enforced.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived