which fx unit

ian hatch

Using the M-One as two seperate units is one possible option and is some I occasionlly do with my M3000 when I turn up and there are no other effects units around or when the only one there has the word "Behringer" on it.

Whether you'll miss things like true stereo 'verb is something only you can answer.

On the M-One the delays are slightly limited in what they can do over something like the D-Two but a simple tap and maybe a ping-pong should be fine for what you want to do with them.

Remember that whatever you have to spend you need to factor in cables and if your going to take it to a lot of gigs a case is a must. There is also the option of buying one unit to start with and seeing how it goes, if you've coped so far with nothing swamping yourself with kit might not be necessary, adding a second unit at a later date if you decide you need it. Buying two units now and deciding you don't need one and trying to sell it will result in you lossing money even if it is brand new.

For me personally I would buy one and see how it goes.

Edit - Forgot to mention Timmy's point; Ease of use is very much a matter of Horses for courses, if it's something that worries you then you could hire both for a day and have a comparision.

Ian

Hi Ian

I have three Lexicon units and a TC M-One all in the under £500 price range

The M-One is often my FX of choice but they all sound different in their own way

See if you can try them before you buy

They are all good but as MarkPAman says - sit down with a mic and some cans and find out what each effect does and sounds like

The M-One will certainly do the job :up:

Cheers

Anton

Using the M-One as two seperate units is one possible option and is some I occasionlly do with my M3000 when I turn up and there are no other effects units around or when the only one there has the word "Behringer" on it.

Whether you'll miss things like true stereo 'verb is something only you can answer.

On the M-One the delays are slightly limited in what they can do over something like the D-Two but a simple tap and maybe a ping-pong should be fine for what you want to do with them.

Remember that whatever you have to spend you need to factor in cables and if your going to take it to a lot of gigs a case is a must. There is also the option of buying one unit to start with and seeing how it goes, if you've coped so far with nothing swamping yourself with kit might not be necessary, adding a second unit at a later date if you decide you need it. Buying two units now and deciding you don't need one and trying to sell it will result in you lossing money even if it is brand new.

For me personally I would buy one and see how it goes.

Edit - Forgot to mention Timmy's point; Ease of use is very much a matter of Horses for courses, if it's something that worries you then you could hire both for a day and have a comparision.

Ian

Ian

On the M ONE and other FX units is it always better to run the units as a stereo units?

The other thing that I thought of was, my desk (GL2400) only has two aux's for FX's, so if I ran a FX unit as two seperate channels, I've used up both my Aux sends and wouldn't be able to use a second unit anyway IE: a D TWO.

The way I've been advised to connect the units is to connect aux send from desk to the left (mono) input on the Fx and the two returns from the unit to a stereo channel on the desk, is this the best way and does it restrict anything?

Cheers

Ian

The way that you've been told to hook them up is indeed a good one, its the way I often do it.

As to stereo, its nice but in your case not the best solution I feel. Setting the M-One to produce a stereo output would mean that your delay and 'verb would end up being linked in level so there would be no way to control them seperately, say if you wanted lots of delay on a vocal for a couple of lines. I would set up two seperate signal chains through the M-One ie.

Aux1 - Left input - FX engine 1 (say your 'verb) - Left output - Mono channel on the desk.

Aux2 - Right input - FX engine 2 (delay) - Right output - Mono channel on the desk.

Where you return them on the desk is entierly up to you and is a matter of personal preferance (there have been threads on here before as to how people run their desks)

If in the future you decide you need the extra effect unit then I would do as your friend has suggested, mono input to the FX and a Stereo return. This would then give you two FX engines for your 'verb.

Ian

The way that you've been told to hook them up is indeed a good one, its the way I often do it.

As to stereo, its nice but in your case not the best solution I feel. Setting the M-One to produce a stereo output would mean that your delay and 'verb would end up being linked in level so there would be no way to control them seperately, say if you wanted lots of delay on a vocal for a couple of lines. I would set up two seperate signal chains through the M-One ie.

Aux1 - Left input - FX engine 1 (say your 'verb) - Left output - Mono channel on the desk.

Aux2 - Right input - FX engine 2 (delay) - Right output - Mono channel on the desk.

Where you return them on the desk is entierly up to you and is a matter of personal preferance (there have been threads on here before as to how people run their desks)

If in the future you decide you need the extra effect unit then I would do as your friend has suggested, mono input to the FX and a Stereo return. This would then give you two FX engines for your 'verb.

Ian

Ian, that's brilliant info, makes alot more sense than the manuals.

I found the routeing options quite confusing in the manual and it doesn't really give you the info about if you connected a certain way what effect this would have on what FXs would then be available.

So to just get it clear in my own mind, when in your reply you mention "to stereo" is that exactly the same as the connection option my mate suggested.

If so, I'm guessing I would run into the problem that you mentioned IE: both engined summed together and running the same level.

A couple of the band members are really keen on the seperate delay unit, but my main concern is the lack of Aux's on the desk to run the two units to thier full potential, as the M-ONE seems to do both anyway, like you suggested IE: two mono's in two mono's out.

Ian

The option in the M-One routing menue that you want is "Dual Mono", this gives you independant control of both FX engines.

So to just get it clear in my own mind, when in your reply you mention "to stereo" is that exactly the same as the connection option my mate suggested.

Yes, Quite simply.

Can I ask why the band members are after the dedicated Delay? If it's because its a dedicated delay and they think it will be better then let them know that the alogorithms in the M-One are almost idedical to their counterparts in the D-Two.

Running both units on mono inputs wouldn't be a problem, the advantage of having two engines for each effect is that you can do things like add a slight pitch shift or other effect to give the impression of a larger sound, a feature that isn't vital and one that if used without lots of care will make it sound worse rather than better.

Can I ask what desk you're running? IMHO if you only have two Aux's left, after the first FX unit I would be looking at upgrading the desk in line with the sort of gigs that require multiple FXs rather than maxing out what you have.

Ian

The option in the M-One routing menue that you want is "Dual Mono", this gives you independant control of both FX engines.

Yes, Quite simply.

Can I ask why the band members are after the dedicated Delay? If it's because its a dedicated delay and they think it will be better then let them know that the alogorithms in the M-One are almost idedical to their counterparts in the D-Two.

Running both units on mono inputs wouldn't be a problem, the advantage of having two engines for each effect is that you can do things like add a slight pitch shift or other effect to give the impression of a larger sound, a feature that isn't vital and one that if used without lots of care will make it sound worse rather than better.

Can I ask what desk you're running? IMHO if you only have two Aux's left, after the first FX unit I would be looking at upgrading the desk in line with the sort of gigs that require multiple FXs rather than maxing out what you have.

Ian

I think one of the band members read an artical on the D TWO and was sold on the idea, I'm not convinced if it's worth it, but I really like the idea of getting a M ONE.

Desk wise it's an A&H GL2400 IE: 6 aux's, 4 for monitors, 2 for FX.

Channel wise I would have plenty to spare as the band is only using about 14 inputs.

Ah OK that old "I see it, I want it" chestnut. I suffer from the same problem (doesn't everyone?).

The A&H are nice desks, I was worried you might be running something from the bottom end of the scale and up-grading the wrong parts of your rig, my appologies.

That being the case I would go for the M-One and see how it goes, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Ian

Ah OK that old "I see it, I want it" chestnut. I suffer from the same problem (doesn't everyone?).

The A&H are nice desks, I was worried you might be running something from the bottom end of the scale and up-grading the wrong parts of your rig, my appologies.

That being the case I would go for the M-One and see how it goes, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Ian

I don't think the D TWO is really an option anyway due to the number of Aux's unless I ran both units in the stereo routing option and going by your earlier reply there is limitations with that route.

I'm going to tell the band what the options are and if they still want a M ONE & D TWO they can upgrade my desk aswell and I know that's not going to happen.

Many thanks for all the replies.

Ian

Not a problem.

It seems that you've got a good grasp of what your after now.

I think you've got the right idea in only going for the M-One.

Let us know how it goes and good luck, you never know you might get a new desk out of it :huh:

Ian

Archived