Blood Packs

leejlight

Seen it done with two of those clear resealable sandwich/food bags (one inside the other for strength) and gaffa tape, really depends on what you're using it for, what causes the wound and how it's to be burst. In the situation I was in, the bag was taped along all four edges to the actor's back, then he wore a shirt over that. In the motion of a hug he was stabbed in the back - a retractable knife with (if memory serves) staples attached to the handle, pointing upwards - reasonably invisible when the knife was seen, but enough to puncture the bag when the blade retracted. The white shirt showed the blood up well.

How about a condom with a knot tied in the end? If you go down the sandwich bag route it may be worth getting a heat sealer (if you are doing quite a few of these).

Consider the option of the stab victim bursting the bag themselves. i.e. They get 'stabbed' clutch their stomach and burst the bag with (say) a ring with a drawing pin attached. The actor being stabbed may feel more comfortable with this.

On a production of Titus Andronicus I was involved in, the "Blood Wrangler" used clingfilm for blood packs. He made a bag out of the clingfilm, and sealed the top with sellotape. They held the blood whilst being worn, but broke easily at the moment when blood needed to be spilt. PM me if you'd like me to put you in touch with the blood wrangler in question...

Jenn

EDIT: These blood packs were burst by the actor being stabbed, but required only correctly applied pressure - no staples/ drawing pins/ other pointy sharp things involved...

You can search the Blue Room for previous topics on how to make an effective gunshot sound using timber or other means.

If you want a proper bullet hit, which is probably overkill in this instance but may be useful to others in the future, you can try someone like Perry Costello of Hands On - he can provide the sort of effects seen in this short, not-for-profit film.

• 8 months later...
Seen it done with two of those clear resealable sandwich/food bags (one inside the other for strength) and gaffa tape, really depends on what you're using it for, what causes the wound and how it's to be burst. In the situation I was in, the bag was taped along all four edges to the actor's back, then he wore a shirt over that. In the motion of a hug he was stabbed in the back - a retractable knife with (if memory serves) staples attached to the handle, pointing upwards - reasonably invisible when the knife was seen, but enough to puncture the bag when the blade retracted. The white shirt showed the blood up well.

I produced oine of my own plays called "The Price to Pay" where a guy gets shot. We filled an IV drip bag with stage blood and put it in the guy's pocket. We put a plastic tube from the bag to the guy's chest, taping it to his skin with surgical tape. As he gets shot he squeezes the IV bag and the blood spears out over his chest without him clutching his chest at all.

Archived