What are Pyros?

Jambo_UK

Hi every1,

Just got back from a concert and my I have a question, What are pyrotechics? I knew they are stage effects but at what point does an effect become a pyro for example a smoke machine, fog machine are effects and do not normally have to follow the exact same rules for example the 18+ rule,

Also is a jet release of air an effect or a pyro effect as I have seen these used at theme parks and then do not seem to follow the same rules.

thanks for the help

from

Jambo

PS. Can you give it as basic as possible as I'm new to this area of productions and will not understand the terms and lingo yet,

So anything that uses a soucre of fuel that can be used as an explosive or contains an explosive element is classed as a pyrotechnically device, for example flash bangs, robotics.

What about air effects like a burst of CO2 through a tube on the front of the stage pointing upwards?

So they still need a dead man handle and the fring person needs to see the effects and all time?

Whats the min age operating of the CO2 fired effects is it still 18?

thnaks so far

from

Jambo

Many CO2 effects are manually fired, and if not they will require a key to operate. The operator will require line of site to the effects, as with any dangerous effect. These sorts of things would be covered by a risk assessment.

Risk: Effects being fired at wrong time

Cautionary method: Operator given line of site to effects

I don't know if there is a legal age for operating CO2 based effects, but I'm sure Lincoln will let you know if there is.

I recently had a CO2 cannon from Lincoln for a show, and the effect was great - I'd recommend talking to him about any pyro or other FX. Email office@justfx.co.uk [/blatant plug]

Risk: Effects being fired at wrong time

Cautionary method: Operator given line of site to effects

RE risk assessment (and being pedantic about terminology) is it not something more like:

Hazard - Effects being fired while someone/thing is too close

Risk - Likely damage to persons/objects and/or alarm to persons etc.

Control measures - Direct line of sight of operator, key lockout etc.

google define:

A chemical mixture of oxidizing and reducing agents capable or reacting exothermically. Such mixtures are used to produce light, heat, smoke or gas and may also be used to introduce delays into explosive trains.:huh:

Archived