Castors on cable case

tolley1466

My cable trunk needs some castors fitted but the material is quite thin.

I'm just worried that if I put Castors on the case that they may be 'ripped' out. I was thinking of re-enforcing the area with maybe a piece of wood between the castors and the case.

Anybody have any thoughts on how I could re-enforce the case where the castors are going?

Its fairly common either to have runners or a whole sheet between the flight case and the castors in order to spread the weight over the whole base of case, rather than just onto the 4 points where the castors are.

This often held on by the castors bolts. (So bolt castors to case through the piece of wood).

A full sheet will add alot of weight to the flightcase, something you don't want, even though you are putting wheels on it. You still have to take a flight of stairs, on and off the van if you have no ramp and the extra weight in the van into account.

2 "strips" of ply with 2 wheels on each will be enough. Bolt the wheels to the ply using T nuts and then use BIGGER bolts to bolt the ply to the case. Get the positioning right. Too little overhang and it'll be a pain to tip up in the van as it'll try and roll about. Too much overhang and you'll hit ground going up slopes or a ramp onto the van.

That all said, I've got flightcases from Thomann that I've just bolted wheels onto the backs off without ply and they've done me maybe 1000 shows fault free. So it depends on the case.

Archived