Fairly normal camcorder with mic input?

tolley1466

I'm looking for a Camcorder to take to music festivals to record good times as a festival goer!

But the thing I found with most cameras is that they distort easily when subjected to high SPL.

Does anybody know any fairly cheap camcorders with an external mic input?

I also need there to be a hot shoe so I can mount a mic on top via a adapter.

The reason it needs to be cheap is because being at a music festival, its not exactly the safest place!

Regards.

Probably best to forget sound and dub it on afterwards. Even if you get a camcorder, with external mic that won't work badly with the level - it will still sound really awful, and as you move, the tonal quality changes as the HF paths change - you don't notice this so much when you are there and the levels are high, but the recorder will reveal all the distortion and mess in the sound.

I filmed Glastonbury this year with my camcorder (JVC GR-D72OEK) and found it worked reasonably well with the sound. my only problem was the ridiculous amount of bass on the pyramid stage( and the alcohol inside me :blink: )

something I found when doing my filming for media coursework and trying to film a jet car! was to turn down the gain for the mic as this did stop some distortion, but id hope your dance tent wasnt as loud as a jet car!

Just bought a Canon FS11 for $630 Australian, it was the cheapest one we could find with mic input. No hot shoe though. Failing that there are a couple of Sony's that have hot shoes IIRC it was the DCR SR65. Both are SD with built in memory (16Gb for the canon about 30 Gig for the sony) the sony runs audio through it's special hot shoe that uses a sony specific adaptor. The canon has a 3.5mm plug. Both of them have minimal (actually zero) sound control.

HTH

Well, in the january sales I finally replaced my, now rather tired sony vx700...

I got a panasonic gs230 for 300 euros and it turns out to basically have all the same features and the extra fold out screen which is now pretty much standard.

I chose this one as it still has an accessory shoe and mic input and uses mini dv's.

I did a video comparison with the vx700 (once stated as being "hand held broadcast quality") with this new camera (which has 3ccd system), and honestly, it came out pretty much identical!

Its nice to change from a camera weighing over a kg to 500g's!!!

The only drawback I have so far, is the battery supplied is rather feeble and in the manual states an expected usage of 1.5hours between charges, but 8hour batteries are on ebay for a tenner....

I'm looking for a Camcorder to take to music festivals to record good times as a festival goer!

Well, the moderators have discussed this, following a report, and have decided it's time for this to close for the following reasons:

• Using a camcorder at festivals is questionable legally due to possible copyright violations and we can't (and don't) condone anything illegal.
  • This has nothing whatsoever to do with technical work backstage, which is what the Blue Room is all about. This is d0mest1c, which we don't do.
  • A few suggestions have already been made that should be of use to the OP.

If anyone feels they wish to contribute something useful and that they have answers to the above points then please feel free to PM a moderator and we'll consider re-opening.

Archived